When I open Money Sunset on new pc can not see data, yet I know it is there because of the size of the file. RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the US.  Had a computer crash, have a new computer running system 7.  I have backup of my money files but I have no idea what version of Money was installed on the old machine.  I have downloaded the Sunset version but am told you need to have installed on the current computer the version that created the backups.  I can open Money and open my backup but I see no data.  I know the data is there because of the size of the file.  I loaded Quicken to see if I can see my data, but it tells me the program version that created the file needs to be on the computer.  I tried to download a free copy of Money 2007 and get error messages about password and login name, yet I know it is right.  Then it tells me about the version problem and the copy must have internet access.  Is there any way to find out what version created the backup?  Is there any reliable service that will convert the file to Sunset or Quicken?  Please, I really need help.  What can I do?   Donna
    Monday, October 28, 2013 10:46 PM

All replies

• If your Money file was created with a US version of Money then Sunset should open it.  The process for moving to a new computer is:

- download and install Money Plus Sunset using the link in the second "Sticky" in this forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Be sure to save a backup of this download in case you need to re-install in the future.  The download servers may be discontinued at any time.

- copy your MOney.mny file from your old computer and paste it into your My Documents folder.  Don't put it into the Program Files folder.

- double-click on the Money,mny file.  It should open and you should see your data.

If this doesn't work, post back with how long you have been using Money (your version may be so old that Sunset can't open it without an intermediate step)  and the size of your Money.mny file (an "empty" file is about 5 MB).

Bill Becker

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:33 PM