none
Win 7 full installation vs Win 7 OEM version RRS feed

• Question

• After reading several articles, I determined that I should do a full "custom" installation of Win 7 rather than an upgrade from Win XP on my PC--which works fine and only need a new OS by next spring when Win XP support stops. I ordered from Office Depot online (assuming they would send me the correct and legal package).

The order reads "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium With Service Pack 1 32-bit - License and Media - 1 PC"

When the package arrived, the label on the white box reads "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium With

Service Pack 1 32-bit", and ALSO reads as follows: "OEM System Builder Pack Intended for system builders ONLY"

plus other instructions include the following (in part): "...it also must be preinstalled on the hard drive

of the fully assembled computer system, using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK)."

For some of the threads (conversations) I have read here and other cites leads me to think the issue for some

people is the cost of the package or use it on another computer later. I don't care about that. I just want to

be able to install the new OS on my PC. Can I use this package to install (following all the details on the tutorial

published for a custom installation by MS). OR, do I need to send this package back and reorder again? Thank you.

• Edited by abenglen Thursday, August 8, 2013 9:34 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 9:31 PM

Answers

• This sounds like you need to send it back.  You are not an OEM Distributor and this OS is for your own personal use.  If you do not care about the cost, I would very much recommend getting a Retail version.  That way just in case you need to install it on a different PC, you can.  Oh yes, just my personal opinion on this, but I would get the 64-bit version too.
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 9:56 PM