More then one home server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question to ask. Does anyone know if on the final version, you can have more then one home server on your network? Suppose, you want to have a backup just incase your first server fails, your second server will step in until you can get the primary back up.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 2:41 PM

Answers

• You will only be able to have one home server on your network that is connected to your client machines. You can however have multiple WHS machines on your network and then manually change what server the client's are connected to.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 3:49 PM
  • To rephrase Tom's reply, a client PC can only be "joined" to a single WHS. You can have multiple WHS running, but they are not going to be redundant in the sense you're probably looking for. They won't operate as a server cluster, and backups/data on one WHS won't be accessible if that machine is down for some reason.

In addition, in most homes you will only be able to use remote access with one WHS.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 6:26 PM

All replies

• You will only be able to have one home server on your network that is connected to your client machines. You can however have multiple WHS machines on your network and then manually change what server the client's are connected to.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 3:49 PM
  • To rephrase Tom's reply, a client PC can only be "joined" to a single WHS. You can have multiple WHS running, but they are not going to be redundant in the sense you're probably looking for. They won't operate as a server cluster, and backups/data on one WHS won't be accessible if that machine is down for some reason.

In addition, in most homes you will only be able to use remote access with one WHS.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 6:26 PM
  • Thanks for your answers Tom and Ken.

Monday, March 19, 2007 1:07 PM
  • My question regarding this is not so much for redundancy, as much as it is for power.

I have quite a few hard drives I would use, both SATA and IDE.  I am running out of ports and power supply connectors.  2 would allow me to have more hard drives without having to buy external drives (not interested in that option, too messy and cluttered)

My thought was to have whs1 be drive D, and whs2 be an additional drive, say drive E

Is this not possible as it is with today's standard servers (2003, or the new 2008)?

perhaps a combination of the two would be better then.

Scenerio - Media on WHS, and programs and files not needed for backup on an additonal file sharing server

any ideas?

Ryan

Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:46 PM
  • Cluster services are a great thing in Windows Server 2003, but the servers NEED to be connected to a domain. Because WHS won't connect to a domain properly (read other posts), this would not be possible, unless Microsoft completely re-wrote the Cluster Manager program, and all the other Cluster things. I know, it would be awesome, but if you want clustering without paying, get Linux...
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:38 PM