How to find out where tombstombs really point / locate possible failing drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anyway to know where a specific file 'really is located', ie, somehow to read the tombstone?

I got a bunch of file conflicts today and the faq about it suggests there's a hardware problem (possibly a failing disk). It says those files are lost, and only the tombstone remains. How can I find out which disk(s) these conflict files were originally located, so I can pull out that drive and test it?
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 5:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• You should start by checking all the disks in your server for errors.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:24 PM
  • Can you please provide some more detail on the error message and what you have already done so far? Please first try this FAQ. If that doesn't help:

Did you reboot the server? If not please try and check if the problem is still there. Doesn't the message give you any clue about the disk that is failing?

Do you get any health warnings for any of the disks in your system? If yes you can right click the disk in the WHS console, Storage tab, then select repair. If repair fails or is no option you can remove the problematic disk using the WHS console, Storage tab. If you had previously enabled duplication for the shares in which the problem files are located this should also fix the problem (if your homeserver is up-to-date).

To check contents of tombstones you can try fsutil. Alternatively you can open explorer window, then browse the contents of the c:\fs\DE\X\shares (X represents drive letter or number) and the D:\DE\shares folders. If you find the files you need you can copy them back to the original location (\\yourservername\shares\....), best use the shares shortcut on the server desktop when moving files back to their original location.

If you are left with mutliple tombstones pointing to non-existing locations you can have a look at http://calvin-au.com/whscleanup/
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:30 PM
  • The error was the File Conflicts: The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

Rebooting removed the warnings, but when I try to open one of the files that was shown it says invalid file handle or something to that effect.

No health warnings given.

There's no C:\FS\DE\X\Shares, but I did see C:\FS\ and a bunch of folders there, which seemed to have my data in different parts. I found the correct one and noticed the file I tried opening is not there (which correlates to the FAQ saying the file is likely deleted).

At this point though, I still don't know what drive that was on.

I'll try ckdisk, fsutil and whscleanup next..
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:24 PM