OneCare not notifying me when it blocks an application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there. I apologize if this is a FAQ. I'm running the Live OneCare trial, and my firewall is set to "notify me when the firewall blocks an application" and "always ask me whether to block or allow programs". However I'm sitting here on a public wifi trying to run Skype, and it can't connect to the Internet, and I'm not receiving any notification. I have to go to Advanced Settings and set it to allow the specific EXE file before it works. Is there a good reason for this behavior? I am logged in as an administrator.

This is a nuisance for me, but a real problem for non-tech-savvy users. I can't see most people knowing how to do something like this if the firewall isn't notifying them.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 4:45 PM

Answers

• When you switch to a public network, pretty much everything outside of the basic protocols will be blocked without notification at all since it is a public network.
    I agree that the firewall is a bit annoying in situations like this and it doesn't behave as expected. That's why I won't miss the OneCare firewall when OneCare is fully retired at the end of 2010.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 4, 2009 5:31 PM

All replies

• When you switch to a public network, pretty much everything outside of the basic protocols will be blocked without notification at all since it is a public network.
    I agree that the firewall is a bit annoying in situations like this and it doesn't behave as expected. That's why I won't miss the OneCare firewall when OneCare is fully retired at the end of 2010.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 4, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Thanks, that was the issue. I like having a firewall that notifies me when a new app is trying to access the Internet. Is there another that you'd recommend for XP? With OneCare maybe I should just say I'm at "home/work" even when I'm in a coffee shop.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 5:55 PM
  • No, I wouldn't switch it to Home/Work as that opens up the firewall to activity that you don't want to allow in a Public network. When OneCare is gone, I'd simply use the XP firewall which handles the inbound traffic restrictions quite well. I prefer not to use a 3rd party firewall, simply due to the complexity of them added to the network, but in the MSE beta forums some people have reported using Outpost's firewall.
    -steve
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:35 PM