Getting hardware together... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone - first post on these forums, though I've been reading through most of the posts on here already. I'm in the process of getting the hardware together for my dedicated WHS machine, and wanted to make a post to see what people think of the setup I'm thinking of. I'd rather use hardware that I'm confident about working so that I can test the software properly, rather than having to spend too much time trying to get dodgey or non standard stuff to work.

So I'm planning on using a 1ghz AMD cpu, with 1GB of RAM. I've got a 180Gb hdd to use as the primary drive, and I have two 160gb drives to also add to the machine. I've got a gigabit ethernet card (most of my home is cabled with cat6). Will those specs be enough?

Thanks guys,

Ben
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 5:07 PM

All replies

• That will work nicely. I hope you will get lots of enjoyment out of WHS as I have. Welcome to the community!
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 5:58 PM
  • You're off to a better start than me. I started off with a smaller 80Gb drive as primary and quickly (well, not quickly considering the length of time for install) realized my mistake. I think I have a pretty good handle on things now (after 4 reinstalls) and am currently running manual backups of 3 XP machines and 1 Vista.

My only recommendation is dont activate until you know you dont have to reinstall. You only get 6 keys, activation uses one and it cant be used again. I did all 4 of my reinstall without activating so the 1st key I was issued was used for all 4 reinstalls. I'll play with things for a few weeks before activating to make sure everything is going OK.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 10:49 PM