AJAX related.. RRS feed

• Question

• Is Ajax a technology platform or is it an architectural style?

What kinds of applications is Ajax best suited for?
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:55 PM

Answers

• @Jain,

AJAX stands for Asynchronous Javascript and XML. AJAX is a technology. Why do we need AJAX? The answer is simple. If you worked on web applications, whenever a user interacted with a page, and it has to process it, the page refreshes. This refresh is called a postback. The odd thing is that, the entire page did not need to be refreshed. Instead only part or certain elements of a page, can be refreshed , but aynschronously. So if you look at an AJAXified Web Application, you will notice that it is very similar to a desktop application.

So AJAX allows the developers to build web applications and give the user an experience of desktop applications. Such application are called as Rich Internet Applications (RIA).

Another new technology from MS is Silverlight

I hope this answers your query, if you need anything else, let me know.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:13 PM
  • If you are using asp.net AJAX , creating dynamic web applications are very easy.

For example, if you want to have a watermark on a asp textbox control, you can extend the functionality of this textbox using an ajax extender.

So if you have an asp text box like

Code Snippet

<asp:TextBox id="txtName" runat="server" />

And you want to have a watermark with the text 'Enter Text' on the textbox. All you have to do, is use the following code :

Code Snippet
    <ajaxToolkit:TextBoxWatermarkExtender 
    ID="TextBoxWatermarkExtender"
    runat="server"    
    TargetControlID="txtName"
    WatermarkText="Enter Text" />

If you want to see a demo of all the Ajax capabilities, visit http://www.asp.net/ajax/control-toolkit/live/

The link will give you an example of each function with code and explanation.

If you are looking for something else in particular, let me know...

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:25 PM

All replies

• @Jain,

AJAX stands for Asynchronous Javascript and XML. AJAX is a technology. Why do we need AJAX? The answer is simple. If you worked on web applications, whenever a user interacted with a page, and it has to process it, the page refreshes. This refresh is called a postback. The odd thing is that, the entire page did not need to be refreshed. Instead only part or certain elements of a page, can be refreshed , but aynschronously. So if you look at an AJAXified Web Application, you will notice that it is very similar to a desktop application.

So AJAX allows the developers to build web applications and give the user an experience of desktop applications. Such application are called as Rich Internet Applications (RIA).

Another new technology from MS is Silverlight

I hope this answers your query, if you need anything else, let me know.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:13 PM
  • Oops i forgot.

For more information and resources on AJAX visit http://asp.net/ajax/ and for Silverlight visit www.silverlight.net

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:22 PM
  • OK.. i know all that, but that's not the concern. The exact thing that is creating dilema ---

"Is AJAX a concept or a phenomenon.
    "

I asked this because i know about AJAX, but never used it. So, i'm very much eager to know about it.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:32 PM
  • If you are using asp.net AJAX , creating dynamic web applications are very easy.

For example, if you want to have a watermark on a asp textbox control, you can extend the functionality of this textbox using an ajax extender.

So if you have an asp text box like

Code Snippet

<asp:TextBox id="txtName" runat="server" />

And you want to have a watermark with the text 'Enter Text' on the textbox. All you have to do, is use the following code :

Code Snippet
    <ajaxToolkit:TextBoxWatermarkExtender 
    ID="TextBoxWatermarkExtender"
    runat="server"    
    TargetControlID="txtName"
    WatermarkText="Enter Text" />

If you want to see a demo of all the Ajax capabilities, visit http://www.asp.net/ajax/control-toolkit/live/

The link will give you an example of each function with code and explanation.

If you are looking for something else in particular, let me know...

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:25 PM
  • Well
    AJAX = XHTML + JAVASCRIPT + XML
    AJAX used in Web applications. Some examples are Google Maps & Gmail. For Reference
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:06 AM
  • If you want an example of implementation of ajax in java, then visit http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2EE/AJAX/

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:53 AM
  •  

Hi..

I had tried using masterpage along with tab control in AJAX, but i failed to get the desired output (i.e page get refreshed)

can we use MasterPage , Tab control in an Ajax enabled website ???

Bobby

Thursday, September 20, 2007 9:15 AM
  • Post the code where you are using the Tab control, and i'll have a look at it.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:33 AM
  • hi,

AJAX is not new technology it is new way of doing the old thing .

It is basically used for making the web application work like desktop applications.

Bcoz using ajax you dont hav to wait for response result is always asynchronous.

It is best suited for Web Applications.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 2:58 PM
  •  

Are there any security issues with AJAX?

Friday, September 21, 2007 10:06 AM
  •  

Is there any way that an AJAX object can get back a record set? 

Friday, September 21, 2007 10:11 AM
  •  

yup.... u can set the ajax to call a webservice (without a postback), and u can set ajax to be based on the timer control... so that it can refressh only the data every x number of seconds.....

also u may wanna try out the ASP.NET (VS2005) Futures pack... its has some pretty neat control.... dynamic data and oh yes it comes silverlight ready....

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:18 PM