none
Need Help, totally fed up RRS feed

• Question

• 14 days ago i updated to vista home basic from xp home. i bought the disk from moduslink.

Eventually i got vista to activate but cannot validate it.  i have tried visiting the two websites on the 'please read before posting' page and get the 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage' message.

i have run the wga diagnostic tool and my system failed on the last three items - Windows validation activex loaded, office validation activex loaded and validation self-help activex loaded. Clicked on resolve now button and got next page www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/Instructions.aspx?displaylang=en&s=ci&cnt .... no info bar message so clicked 'try installation again'. IT DID NOTHING! Seven times so far! i have e-mailed microsoft support and raised five or six tickets over the past 13 days but still have a pc that will only download critical updates and nothing else.

i have paid for the xp disk, i have paid for the upgrade and microsoft now want to charge me £40 a time for assistance over the 'phone as i have an "oem" disk (my pc was built by a friend out of various bits and pieces). I cannot and will not pay for help to put right a product that should have worked properly in the first place, has messed up my pc and has caused me lots of stress and cost me a fortune in telephone calls to microsoft. Their customer service department referred me to support.microsoft.com where i was able to chat to a lovely guy called ashley, unfortunately he tells me he is only able to help north american customers. i have been right through the discussion forums and tried everything that has been suggested, but since i am unable to download anything i'm stuck.

i've asked about uninstalling vista and going back to xp home but that failed miserably too, all i got was a message saying that the file i was trying to install was older than the one that was installed so i gave up.

All i want is for my copy of vista to validate so i can download files from the microsoft download site, it's not rocket science surely so why am i spending hours and hours day after day getting nowhere?

Can anyone shed some light on my problem, i'm guessing it's either something to do with security settings or internet explorer 7 but since i'm only a poor customer not a techie i don't have a clue what to do to put it right. Any help would be really appreciated as my pc is my lifeline to the outside world. I'm at my wits end and i really don't know what to do now, i feel like switching off my pc and throwing it away. When i bought Vista i thought it would make my life easier and my pc more secure, how wrong can you be?

Please, please, is there anyone out there who can help me?

Elaine

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 3:30 PM

Answers

• Wish me luck everyone, i'm wiping the whole lot and reinstalling xp home from scratch, then i'll try upgrading to vista again.

For some reason i'm not admin on my own pc, it won't download or install anything from microsoft and the active x is missing and microsoft can't give me the answers to get it working 100%.

i'll let you know how it goes this time round!

Friday, June 1, 2007 1:27 PM

All replies

• Snap, same problems here. i've spent 19 days down so far 'cos vista won't validate so i can't update anything. None of my programmes will work properly so i'm facing a major reinstall. microsoft say my vista disk's not genuine so it's moduslink's problem, and moduslink say it's genuine so it's microsoft's problem.... but neither of them want to sort out my problem. Seems to me that when vista installed it missed the activex thingy that it needs to validate.  It took me a few attempts to get the flippin thing to load properly and when it finally did i ended up activating on the phone 'cos it wouldn't even do that right.

i'm just about at the end of my rope with the whole flamin lot, if it weren't for the fact i've got 11 years' worth of ms office files n stuff i'd go linux even tho i haven't got a clue how it works.  i'm just so teed off at going round and round in circles trying to do such a basic thing as validate that a programme is genuine after spending a flamin fortune on the disc and updating my sound card etc.

microsoft customer support is a joke at best, it took two e-mails to explain to the techie that vista would not validate. He referred me to microsoft.com and told me to talk to a techie online since i can't download any of the files they keep telling me to download - Wonderful i thought! Nope!!! They will only help U.S. customers online, us poor uk customers have to make do with e-mail Sad

To say i'm disgusted at microsoft is a gross understatement. i've gone from a perfectly functioning pc with xp home to something that's only good as a doorstop.  i'm giving them till the end of the week to come up with a solution then i'm going to start phoning watchdog and stuff. My pc's heading for an fdisk before i throw it at the nearest wall. i'm putting xp home back on, i'll have sound then as well Smile

Elaine

Monday, May 28, 2007 8:54 PM
  • Finally, 21 days later!!!  (A friend downloaded the diagnostic tool onto a flash drive for me)

Please can anyone tell me what to do to get my Vista Home Basic to validate? i am the only user of this pc and have full admin rights as far as i'm aware

The error code i keep getting when i run the validation is 0x80080296

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Validation Control not Installed
    Detailed Status: 0x1
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KJ3T4-PM274-9XDFK
    Windows Product Key Hash: MpN0Gl3TwgskTZxnWuP3rfcYs9o=
    Windows Product ID: 89572-OEM-7342912-14435
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System B 

uilder
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.002
    ID: 6db6335d-b845-43c2-af81-335721bdc54c
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070006
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>6db6335d-b845-43c2-af81-335721bdc54c</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.002</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-9XDFK</PKey><PID>89572-OEM-7342912-14435</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2725314934-1930018350-826952579</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ATIA3_</Manufacturer><Model>ATIA3-M1535D</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20030626000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>85613907018400DE</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Frustration is the new game for Windows Vista users, is microsoft being paid for the amount of hair being torn out?

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:37 PM
  • Looks like you're not an admin and you'll need to be to install the ActiveX control:

vwbabe75 wrote:

Please can anyone tell me what to do to get my Vista Home Basic to validate? i am the only user of this pc and have full admin rights as far as i'm aware

The error code i keep getting when i run the validation is 0x80080296

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Validation Control not Installed
    Detailed Status: 0x1
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KJ3T4-PM274-9XDFK
    Windows Product Key Hash: MpN0Gl3TwgskTZxnWuP3rfcYs9o=
    Windows Product ID: 89572-OEM-7342912-14435
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System B 

uilder
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.002
    ID: 6db6335d-b845-43c2-af81-335721bdc54c
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070006
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205

Would you try again with admin rights?  Thanks!

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:56 PM
  • Thanks, i noticed that when i did the diagnostic so went off to check in control panel, user accounts..... According to that i am an administrator, the only account on the pc that i could see. In account properties it shows administrator account, password protected.

What, how????  Now i'm confused.  i'd decided to give it till 1 June before i hit fdisk, demand my two lots of money back from moduslink (since they charged me twice) and go see my solicitor for advice.  This is ridiculous, i'm 20-odd days into my free help from microsoft and the best they've offered so far is turn off the antivirus and firewall. Laugh? i cried!

Thursday, May 31, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Wish me luck everyone, i'm wiping the whole lot and reinstalling xp home from scratch, then i'll try upgrading to vista again.

For some reason i'm not admin on my own pc, it won't download or install anything from microsoft and the active x is missing and microsoft can't give me the answers to get it working 100%.

i'll let you know how it goes this time round!

Friday, June 1, 2007 1:27 PM
  • For anyone interested, it worked! Microsoft gave me a new product id number and it went ok this time. Took a whole day but finally ..... exactly a month to install a flippin programme.

Next time microsoft bring out a new operating system will someone please give me a swift kick before i get tempted to buy it?!

Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:08 PM