1/31/2011: The End Is Near! If you haven't pondered already, now might be a good time to start... RRS feed

• General discussion

• While we don't know exactly what will happen at the stroke of midnight on the 31st of January, 2011, we can pretty safely bet that Money services and data that require Microsoft involvement will begin disappearing at that point.

Known included:

• Installed license activation
    • Passport/WinLiveID file access authentication (gone already)
    • Quotes download and other "Internet Updates" services including "service updates", exchange rates, and patches
    • Any remaining "third party" downloads--think these are all gone already
    • Direct downloads for the more recent versions
    • On-line help
    • Support

Potentially disappearing sooner rather than later; probably disappearing "eventually," i.e., before we all no longer care:

• All historic MSKB items for Money
    • File downloads (M+ Sunset, the M04 and M05 trial versions useful for intermediate version file upgrades)
    • All of the MSN content Money otherwise links in (you know: Find great loan rates, MSN Investing and so forth) (good riddance!)
    • This community forum

There are other threads on dealing with a number of these issues via workaround or migration from Money to "other means" or whatever.

If anybody needs pointers to those specifics, or is aware of or wondering about an issue we haven't already worked over, please add to this thread.

Saturday, January 1, 2011 10:24 PM

All replies

• Dick & Cal,

This morning I converted my 16+ years of financial information in Money from Money 2007 Premium to Money Sunset. The conversion went without ANY hitches (which is what I expected since I prepared for this for a number of months thru reading this forum and getting your input). Thanks! I'll be developing my plans to deal with the loss of daily automatic updates for my 12 stocks & funds data during January. Meanwhile, I can continue using Money to monitor my Net Worth, all my bills which I pay by credit cards or checks manually thru Money and via the internet, my cash flow, my budget, etc. It helps alot that I am retired from a career in accounting and I have excellent knowledge of how Money works. It is so nice to KNOW via historical data in Money what our past expenses were so we can plan for our future expenses in the life style my wife and I are living. All this based on our income from social security and retirement savings. Microsoft Money has been a big help thru all the years and I'm hoping it will continue well into the future with this final Sunset version. Steve 

My first attempt at developing a plan to deal with the loss of daily automatic updates for my investments was to enter them manually. I have 12 total investments in my portfolio.One bond I had to enter manually with Money 2007 anyway. My Fidelity cash reserves is pegged at $1 and needs no daily update. So I manually entered 10 stocks and funds thru Money Sunset Portfolio manager on Monday & today. Process took about 3 minutes each day after printing my Fidelity account data from their site. If nothing else works better, this would be a fallback for me. I don't necessarily need to do this daily either if I don't have time.

• Edited by Money user Wednesday, January 5, 2011 12:38 AM UPDATE
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 4:29 PM
  • I'm using MS Money 2006 and am only using the Lifetime Planner portion for retirement planning.

I'll be using Hung Le's Java app to continue to update mutual fund price quotes.

My question is: Since Money 2006 doesn't require authentication to install, is there any reason for me to move to the Sunset edition? I have my original disk safely stored away.... and a copy of Sunset just in case.... but it seems like there's no reason to move.

Thanks to all for your great help over the years.

Monday, January 3, 2011 2:55 PM
  • The only thing I see you gain by converting to M+S from M06 now is having available the "Nuke The Bills" tool. If you aren't suffering from "slow file syndrome" (as Cal calls it), that may not matter as using this tool is NOT something you do just for the fun of it. OTOH, I don't see a downside to converting either.

If you are not maintaining accounts and transaction data, but are just using the Money LP, I'd say there are as good or better tools on the web. Fidelity's comes immediately to mind.

Monday, January 3, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Thanks, Dick..... that's what I thought: no reason to move but no real reason not to either.

I have no "slow file syndrome" ... so that's not an issue.

Actually, I've looked at lots of the online tools and there are none that I think are as good as the Lifetime Planner portion of Money. The deferred income and expenses, the duration of expenses, the different expected return rates before and after 'retirement'.... just the way it's all laid out.... I like Money's version alot.

Monday, January 3, 2011 3:35 PM
  •   am still not able to install a version of sunset without live id.  i'm starting to panic that years and years of data will be lost.

I can go with just the online stuff not being available, but how do i assure myself that some Money file will be able to open and i can see the history.   Will just the old Money still work on history?  what is advantage to converting to Sunset? assuming I can figure out how to convert.  i have money2007 deluxe.  i havent figured out how to get back to the same place in this forum, so i never see if i have any answer.   if there is good advice out there please e-mail   leilad8@yahoo.com

Thanks

Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:09 PM
  •   am still not able to install a version of sunset without live id.  i'm starting to panic that years and years of data will be lost.

I can go with just the online stuff not being available, but how do i assure myself that some Money file will be able to open and i can see the history.   Will just the old Money still work on history?  what is advantage to converting to Sunset? assuming I can figure out how to convert.  i have money2007 deluxe.  i havent figured out how to get back to the same place in this forum, so i never see if i have any answer.   if there is good advice out there please e-mail   leilad8@yahoo.com

Thanks

If I understand correctly, you create a new ID for each of your posts, and your posts are write-only?  Maybe somebody will email you. Maybe somebody has already emailed you.

Are you the one who posted onto the Money 2005 sticky thread as headinsand? I moved your post to a separate thread called Money 2007 cannot-sign-in questionSubscribednone Just look thru the list, and you will find it.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:29 PM
  • I switched over to the Sunset version just over three weeks ago, and everything is fine except for the loss of the automatic financial price updates.  My 15 plus years of manually entered and very detailed information is priceless to me, and I have no intention of using the inferior Quicken product in the future.

As far as Microsoft, I will purchase as little software/hardware from that company as I can.  Messing with my financial software is way over the line!  :(

Saturday, January 8, 2011 2:37 AM
  • I switched over to the Sunset version just over three weeks ago, and everything is fine except for the loss of the automatic financial price updates. 

I strongly recommend the PocketSense scripts to give you quotes and even downloads from many credit cards and brokers. The data passes directly to your computer from the financial institution's OFX server.
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 5:40 AM
  • Cal,

I'm in the process of trying to understand exactly HOW to incorporate PocketSense scripts into Sunset Money. This past week I manually uploaded my ten stock & mutual fund prices manually. No big deal. It took about five minutes total every night. I have reviewed your posting here about PocketSense including the link. Here is my problem. Although I am VERY knowledgeable about accounting and using Money for over 15 years, I am NOT technically proficient with IT programing. I think you could do us all here a big favor if you could walk us thru, STEP BY STEP exactly what we need to do. In my case all my stocks and funds are listed in a portfolio maintained on the Fidelity Investments website. I have actually linked up thru Money to my accounts on Fidelity so I see the Fidelity screen under the Money screen. I have no idea EXACTLY what I need to do within PocketSense, within Money and within Fidelity to make this upload of stock and mutual fund prices occur every weeknight evening by (I assume) the click of one or two buttons on my computer. With Sunset, I currently am using Vista.

Your assistence and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Steve 

Saturday, January 8, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Steve,

The instructions on the PocketSense site are very thorough, however my Blog http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/cal-learners-review-fidelity-401k-citi-card-and-vanguard-account-info/ may help regarding tuning it for Fidelity downloads.  After the settings are input into sites.dat, the Setup / Test script is run to actually input each of your Fidelity accounts for the OFX downloads.

Saturday, January 8, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Steve,

The instructions on the PocketSense site are very thorough, however my Blog http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/cal-learners-review-fidelity-401k-citi-card-and-vanguard-account-info/  may help regarding tuning it for Fidelity downloads.  After the settings are input into sites.dat, the Setup / Test script is run to actually input each of your Fidelity accounts for the OFX downloads.

I've always put in my own data, but always rely on automatic price updates for stocks and funds. Best way to do this. Any step by step for this.
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Ameridan, thanks for your reply to me. I have followed your comments and your blogs thru the recent months. I also have a copy of "Bobby" from Tennessee's install & set-up for PocketSense and Cal's reporting of using it for Fidelity Investments. As Cal just posted TODAY he has found an annomaly on dates which need to be checked out. As a long time user of Money and a follower here on this site, I am comfortable in believing that automatic updates of stock and fund prices on a daily basis WILL be available to all US Money Plus (Sunset) users. Once all the kinks are worked out I am sure one of you guys will provide a straight forward, detailed and hopefully simple way for us to type in our brokerage/bank, our account or accounts, and our stocks and mutual funds to form the linkage with PocketSense scripts and Sunset (or other Money versions). I'm in no rush to get this download capability, since I can now enter my information manually very easily. I do appreciate all the work and effort everyone is doing on this project. Thanks,

Steve

Sunday, January 9, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Ameridan, thanks for your reply to me. I have followed your comments and your blogs thru the recent months. I also have a copy of "Bobby" from Tennessee's install & set-up for PocketSense and Cal's reporting of using it for Fidelity Investments. As Cal just posted TODAY he has found an annomaly on dates which need to be checked out. As a long time user of Money and a follower here on this site, I am comfortable in believing that automatic updates of stock and fund prices on a daily basis WILL be available to all US Money Plus (Sunset) users. Once all the kinks are worked out I am sure one of you guys will provide a straight forward, detailed and hopefully simple way for us to type in our brokerage/bank, our account or accounts, and our stocks and mutual funds to form the linkage with PocketSense scripts and Sunset (or other Money versions). I'm in no rush to get this download capability, since I can now enter my information manually very easily. I do appreciate all the work and effort everyone is doing on this project. Thanks,

Steve

I created a variation on Bobby's instructions that are somewhat more step-by-step. However the steps are in the method that I use, which involves command windows, which I like. Due to your comments "NOT technically proficient with IT programing", I am afraid posting it might be counter-productive. It could, with disclaimer, serve some purpose in detailing out some of the steps.

Regarding the anomaly on dates that I found, I found that anomaly has existed for a good while. It was mostly hidden by the quote servers, which are going away. Note that the anomaly does not affect the dates on transactions, such as Buy, Sell or Dividend. Keeping your transactions and filling yout your schedule D,  etc are not affected. Only the history graphs may be a day off. Non-investment things are not affected So most people would never notice the anomaly.

If you have a question with Bobby's description, tell us at what step you got stuck at.

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:14 PM
  • Scottrade stopped supporting QIF Download within the last month. 

My hand has been forced to convert to Quicken.

Microsoft, please resurrect Money!  QUICKEN STINKS!

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:21 PM
  • QIF was not very good for investments anyway.

If you want to consider continuing to use Money with Scottrade, see http://sites.google.com/site/pocketsense/home/msmoneyfixp1/p2

If you get far enough to want to modify sites.dat, you will need a <site> descriptor. Here is my untested version of that:

<site>
        SiteName : Scottrade
        AcctType : INVSTMT
        fiorg : Scottrade
        url  :  https://ofxstl.scottsave.com
        fid  : 777
        bankid :
        brokerid : www.scottrade.com
        appid :
        appver :
        mininterval :
    </site>

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:34 PM
  • I have been a Money UK user over the years and was very disappointed to learn of it's demise.  Once it was clear that it was no longer to be

supported I got Personal Accountz which I put a lot of effort into but recently ditched as it was not user friendly or robust enough, alhtough I did like the double-entry

method it used.  I was leaning towards Sage (which would be a sledgehammer to crack a nut) when I saw the Sunset product and decided to try it.

I have started to set up Sunset using GBP base currency and have found that it just about meets my fairly limited, current needs, but for one thing.

While I can set up recurring payments for bills, I cannot see how I cannot set up a recurring transfer between say two bank accounts or

a recurring payment into an account.

Can these be done, or am I missing something?

Many thanks for any help.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:22 AM
  • While I can set up recurring payments for bills, I cannot see how I cannot set up a recurring transfer between say two bank accounts or a recurring payment into an account.
    You need to turn on Advanced Bills (upper right corner). Essential Bills is useless.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:06 PM
  • If you have fairly limited requirements you should have stuck with Money 2005 UK. It will not stop working overnight - but you will need to address the problem of re-installation should it become necessary - http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

<RWF102> wrote in message news:32109b5c-c00c-41af-b6fa-d543604fd22d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have been a Money UK user over the years and was very disappointed to learn of it's demise.  Once it was clear that it was no longer to be

supported I got Personal Accountz which I put a lot of effort into but recently ditched as it was not user friendly or robust enough, alhtough I did like the double-entry

method it used.  I was leaning towards Sage (which would be a sledgehammer to crack a nut) when I saw the Sunset product and decided to try it.

I have started to set up Sunset using GBP base currency and have found that it just about meets my fairly limited, current needs, but for one thing.

While I can set up recurring payments for bills, I cannot see how I cannot set up a recurring transfer between say two bank accounts or

a recurring payment into an account.

Can these be done, or am I missing something?

Many thanks for any help.

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Posted via the Communities Bridge
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Thanks Graham, my old Money crashed and I lost all confidence in it and the data a year or so ago.  When I learnt it was being discontinued, I looked elsewhere (unsuccessfully).  I am happy to start again.

Dick, you are a life-saver.  Thanks every so much.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:51 PM
  • I may have finally found out why I am not getting an answer from Microsoft Support.  I have not understood what may happen, but would like to find details as to what I need to convert to Money Sunset.  What I would like to continue with is the MSN. Money Portfolio Manager as much as is available.  

We do use Money Standard 2006 for recording our checkbook manually(no online usage) and do believe this will not be effected.  Am I correct with this assumption? 

Is there detailed help with this?  I am not tech friendly and have the ability to missread instructions and directions.  That is also why I probably am somewhat late with this problem.

Help,

J2B

jack
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:20 PM
  • You don't need to change anything.

If that's all you are using it for, nothing will change. Your software will not suddenly stop working

Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:24 PM
  • See http://www.microsoft.com/money/faq.mspx

Also download and save the install file at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=60302e1e-207e-4710-ac80-d19c22e47488 While you can continue to use Money 2006 Standard, it may be of use some day if you are in the US. If you are in Canada, I am not sure.

You may never need the file, but it would be better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Thanks heaps for the quick response.  Does this mean I do not have to convert anything and will have access to the 15 years of  history and still be able to update stock prices, sales, purchases and dividends manually?  How about changing settings and printing reports?

Do I need to know anything else?

J2B

jack
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Thanks heaps for the quick response.  Does this mean I do not have to convert anything and will have access to the 15 years of  history and still be able to update stock prices, sales, purchases and dividends manually?  How about changing settings and printing reports?

J2B

jack

nothing that you can't do manually
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:59 PM

Yes. By "manually", I assume that you mean typing things in.

But you can also download OFX files from web pages to make it easier. You can even use scripts, such as PocketSense to download from many financial instutions in a more automated way. That is the best way to get your update stock prices, sales, purchases and dividends into Money. Less work. More accurate.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:59 PM

Yes. By "manually", I assume that you mean typing things in.

But you can also download OFX files from web pages to make it easier. You can even use scripts, such as PocketSense to download from many financial instutions in a more automated way. That is the best way to get your update stock prices, sales, purchases and dividends into Money. Less work. More accurate.

Hey Cal,

I always update my own info manually and download nothing from anyone. I'd just like the ability to update stock and mutual fund quotes of the ones I own.

Best way to go about this?

Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Great idea,

What is the proceedure to make this possible?  I know it is not magic.

J2B

jack
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:16 PM
  • I always update my own info manually and download nothing from anyone. I'd just like the ability to update stock and mutual fund quotes of the ones I own.

Best way to go about this?

The PocketSense scripts can do that. It gets quotes from Yahoo. Do a search. Right now the date associated with the price might be a day off, but I expect that to be improved. Also note the sticky thread regarding which Portfolio columns will continue to work without Microsoft servers.
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:18 PM
  • I am still not sure about what is the best way to go forward.

Is it necessarty to do the Sunset Download?  Do I loose anything important?

The idea of PocketSense seems like would be a benefit.  I do not understand where to download from, nor how to download and have it install or work.  Any tips would be appreciated.

J2B

jack
    Monday, January 17, 2011 10:31 PM
  • great info there Rick
    Monday, January 17, 2011 11:33 PM
  • Since, as you say this is gone "Passport/WinLiveID file access authentication (gone already)"  how do I access my data?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:56 AM
  • Since, as you say this is gone "Passport/WinLiveID file access authentication (gone already)"  how do I access my data?

You start by remembering the credentials that you had in place when you last saved your file and/or recent backups. When that happens, write it down and check back. See http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/ede54754-2976-44f2-a516-1f6e131d9621
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:13 AM
  • I am still not sure about what is the best way to go forward.

Is it necessarty to do the Sunset Download?  Do I loose anything important?

The idea of PocketSense seems like would be a benefit.  I do not understand where to download from, nor how to download and have it install or work.  Any tips would be appreciated.

You can continue to use M06. You may want to go to Sunset anyway for "Nuke The Bills" if nothing else. If you bought M06 at retail, keep the CD. Maybe even back it up. If you bought online, things get more complicated as online activation for reinstall will be going/has gone away. See http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/ for more about PocketSense and other alternatives.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:06 AM
  • I updated to sunset deluxe a few days ago and it was fine but now I have a HUUUUUUUUUGE problem.

When I put my password it (ITS NOT THE LIVE ID I ALREADY GOT THROUGH THAT MESS), I get an hour glass on the cursor for about 2-3 minutes!!!!

ITs like it screwed up my mny file!

I uinstalled and reinstalled 2007 and opened an older file and it didn't do it. Of course I couldn't open a newer one in 2007 so i had to run sunset plus again but the new files take forever to open.

It locks my whole computer up until the file opens which , like i said, takes several minutes to open!!

THis is madness! what can I do? I can't believe MS would screw around with a program that is so vital to peoples finanical matters.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:02 PM
  • I updated to sunset deluxe a few days ago and it was fine but now I have a HUUUUUUUUUGE problem.

When I put my password it (ITS NOT THE LIVE ID I ALREADY GOT THROUGH THAT MESS), I get an hour glass on the cursor for about 2-3 minutes!!!!

ITs like it screwed up my mny file!

I uinstalled and reinstalled 2007 and opened an older file and it didn't do it. Of course I couldn't open a newer one in 2007 so i had to run sunset plus again but the new files take forever to open.

It locks my whole computer up until the file opens which , like i said, takes several minutes to open!!

THis is madness! what can I do? I can't believe MS would screw around with a program that is so vital to peoples finanical matters.

0. Consider rebooting your computer in case there is some transient condition.

1. When you converted to Money Plus, it left a backup of your *.mny  file named *.m16. You can copy that to alan07.mny or some other filename, and you can open that with Money 2007.

2. In any case remove your Live ID from your Money file. I think you said you did that, but I wanted to be sure.

3. If you convert to Money Plus Deluxe again, it is best to disable online access before converting. AccountList->ManageOnlineServices.  Click the account.  Click StopUsingOnlineServices.

4. If your file runs slowly, consider

File->Repair->RemoveAllBillsData

This Remove All Bills Data feature would be for people who have
    experienced their Money file to run excessively slow.

To get some information within the program,
    File->Repair->RemoveAllBillsData
    Read the information. Then click cancel.

Before proceeding, make an extra copy or backup of your file
    in case you want to undo something.

The problem will be that if you remove all bills, you will probably
    want to add at least some of your bills back.  This can be done
    manually with the aid of the reports that you print out before
    removing the bills.

A technique that could help simplify re-entering your bills
    afterward would be to go your register and selecting a
    representative instance of your past bill and selecting "Make
    Recurring" (Ctrl+E).  This would be especially helpful if the bill
    is complex, such as involving a split.

You can try that with a copy of your file with a diferent filename if you are not sure it is worthwhile for you.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:20 PM
  • ok I think i found out, its the HOME page doing this. Everytime I navigate away and go back to it, the home page takes about 2 - 3 minutes to show again...!! what is causing this? It never did this before.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:32 PM
  • ok I think i found out, its the HOME page doing this. Everytime I navigate away and go back to it, the home page takes about 2 - 3 minutes to show again...!! what is causing this? It never did this before.

Good deal. Easy solution probably!

Open any file you can, such as Sample.mny.
    In XP, you can do that by going to your Money install folder
    and right-clicking Sample.mny, and choosing Open. If not XP, copy Sample.mny copy Sample.mny to your Documents folder. Open from there.
    Go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.
    Close Money.

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    Investment Performance module. If you still have a problem, remove
    everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back until
    the crash does not happen. Add back in the other things you want
    on the home page. Let us know which was the problem module.

The problem is usually that you added just one more security, and the performance module gets constipated.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:44 PM
  • If you still have a problem, remove
    everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back until
    the crash does not happen. Add back in the other things you want
    on the home page. Let us know which was the problem module.

The problem is usually that you added just one more security, and the performance module gets constipated.

Its the SPENDING TRACKER. Glad I didn't remove all my bill data for that!
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:05 PM
  • I sure feel like a densenheimer when it comes to PocketSense.  The only event I really need to use this for, is to update the stocks and mutual pricing in my portfolio.  Isn' there a way that yahoo or etc. can do this collectively and not need to do each fund or broker?  I have never needed for sales, buys, reinvestment, banking or any transctions to be posted as I do this manually.

I am hoping for a quick fix.

Is there hope for this?

J2B

jack
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:07 PM
  • I sure feel like a densenheimer when it comes to PocketSense.  The only event I really need to use this for, is to update the stocks and mutual pricing in my portfolio.  Isn' there a way that yahoo or etc. can do this collectively and not need to do each fund or broker?  I have never needed for sales, buys, reinvestment, banking or any transctions to be posted as I do this manually.

Is there hope for this?

J2B

jack

If you don't add an actual account in PocketSense, then it will not attempt to fetch transactions. It will still fetch quotes. Edit the provided sites.dat file, and find the <stocks> and <funds> sections at the bottom. Add your symbols. Ignore the rest of the sites.dat.

After you edit sites.dat, open Money. Run getdata. Info will be passed to Money. The first time you do this, Money will ask what account the downloaded info should go into. You can ask Money to create an account. You could let that account be called "Investment", which is the default, or maybe "Quotes" or whatever. Thereafter, Money will remember what account to download the quotes to.

Have you tried it? You can make an extra copy or backup of your Money file so that you can return to that if you don't like the results.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:25 PM

Is there hope for this?

J2B

jack

If you're just updating stock and mutual fund pricing, the java app is really easy to use.... assuming you have java on your computer, which you probably do.... here's the link:

http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/java-app-to-update-quotes/

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:42 PM
  • I run UK Money De Luxe v12 (2004) and haven't looked at this forum since the middle of last year when I learned from an MVP reply to my question that v12 will continue to run without intervention because it doesn't use the patch employed in M2005 and later. I guess I just wanted to update to see if there was any new news before the big day. I'm on an XP platform and I guess in the next year will be moving onto W7. So the issues are: 1.) Is it still felt that a reinstall onto a new (W7) machine will work 2.) Will any of the solutions for downloading UK stock / mutual fund prices suggested for M2005 and later work for v12? 3) Is there any advantage moving to the sunset version (Is it right that the sunset version can't read UK Money files and the only way across is using QIF exports for every account?!! - I got a lotta accounts!)
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 1:14 PM
  • I run UK Money De Luxe v12 (2004) and haven't looked at this forum since the middle of last year when I learned from an MVP reply to my question that v12 will continue to run without intervention because it doesn't use the patch employed in M2005 and later. I guess I just wanted to update to see if there was any new news before the big day. I'm on an XP platform and I guess in the next year will be moving onto W7. So the issues are: 1.) Is it still felt that a reinstall onto a new (W7) machine will work 2.) Will any of the solutions for downloading UK stock / mutual fund prices suggested for M2005 and later work for v12? 3) Is there any advantage moving to the sunset version (Is it right that the sunset version can't read UK Money files and the only way across is using QIF exports for every account?!! - I got a lotta accounts!)

1. Yes. It is important that your *.mny and *.mbf files not be in the ProgramFiles folder. The Documents folder is a good place for those files.

2. AFAIK, one or more of the solutions will work as well for Money 2004 as for any version for the UK user. I see you had participated in the UK Money Users thread. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/ba8e9925-b188-4885-a057-3fbf96a99412 Improvements in getting share and fund prices for UK are still being improved. Are all of your accounts in GBP? If the quotes that you get are in GBP also, that will simplify things. I think the currency thing is still an issue that makes things harder. I have seen it reported that UK Money 2005 has an issue where the quotes coming in from PocketSense need to have a changing fake value of shares to work with UK Money 2005. I don't really understand the issue. You might want to try it with a test Money 2004 file. I have made an experimental version of the quotes.py module for PocketSense that truncates the symbols to 12 characters long before feeding to Money. Long symbols is an issue that UK users face that most US users do not face.3. There may be some advantage and some disadvantage. Are you getting any direct OFX downloads now? If so, they would continue, where under Sunset, they will be gone. You could download Sunset, but not install, to keep your options open. You could also experiment with a different computer. While it is possible to have Sunset installed on the same computer as Money 2004, the later install will be associated with OFX and QIF files. Instead consider experimenting with a different computer to do your own tests. The very rare person has reported successfully reported converting from a UK version to Sunset, but that would be a very long shot-- especially with your large complex file.

One of my favorite improvements to later versions of Money is multiple time-stamped backups. Another is the ability to work with flash drives with more than 2 GB of free space.

It is interesting that the traffic of people getting ready has slowed as the deadline approaches.. I imagine that there will be a pickup in early February as those who procrastinated and those who missed the message come.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Hi Cal. Thanks for that info. Sounds like the W7 upgrade in due course should work (fingers crossed). Although my accounts are in multi-currency, the quoted investment assets are all in GBP so at the moment the only real issue will be getting the Uk mutual fund price download to work. Frankly, it's not the end of the world loading prices manually because the portfolio is quite concentrated so it won't be too much work but I guess I'll give the download scripts a go because I won't be able to resist it! Yes I'm still getting ofx data notably for my main clearing account (NatWest) and this represents a considerable volume of transactions and I wouldn't want to compromise that functionality so for this reason alone (let alone the apparent difficulty of migrating from 2004 to Sunset) it looks like Sunset is not really an option. BTW I back up everytime I close Money after using it (most days) and use the manual backup file naming feature so that each backup file includes the current date in its name. I therefore typically keep nearly daily backups for at least the last month and every now and then weed old files so that I've got a file for each month going further back (although, OK, I've no conception what I might need these older files for....but you never know!). I don't use flash drives (I only use Money on the desktop PC at home) so no real attraction of later Money versions for me.

Once again thanks for the help. Will this forum continue after 31 Jan? If not, where will be the best place for pooling experience and info re post D-Day?

Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:23 AM
  • Once again thanks for the help. Will this forum continue after 31 Jan? If not, where will be the best place for pooling experience and info re post D-Day?

Only time will tell for sure. We are hoping for the best and not suspecting anything other than it will continue for the time being. If this goes away I'd temporarily revert to the usenet group.
    Monday, January 31, 2011 3:53 AM