WHS 2011 RAID 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In the past I've always used Intel's RST or Matrix RAID to make a storage only RAID 1 array that I use to store my documents, music, and pictures on but I've been having serious performance issues with my RAID1 array read speed being 2/3 slower then that of a single drive which is unacceptable. Intel has been unable to provide me with any support or solutions thus far. I was thinking about setting up a software RAID1 in WHS 2011 through the Computer Management Console. Is this recommended? Also, what if my OS drive dies, or I want to upgrade? Does my Windows software RAID1 remain unharmed?

My setup:
    120GB SSD (OS drive)
    2x 750GB (RAID1 for documents, pictures, music, client backups)
    3TB (other media storage)

I use server backup to backup the 750GB drive to rotating external drives that I keep offsite, I also backup the 750GB to an offsite NAS using Syncback.

Thanks.

Monday, February 13, 2012 5:20 PM

All replies

• Using software RAID 1 is pretty much guaranteed to be slower than any form of hardware RAID. In addition, if you have an issue with an array it's not as easy to recover as Microsoft might like you to think. Overall, I would recommend against.

Also, if you've configured server backup, don't bother with RAID at all; RAID is not a data protection technology, it's a high availability technology that can also protect data.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Ken.

I may have to rethink my storage strategy. I may be better off to:

Convert my 2x2TB RAID1 NAS into a 4TB RAID0 NAS.

Convert that 2x750GB RAID1 into a 1.5TB RAID0 using Intel RST.

Then I can backup the 1.5TB RAID0 and 3TB to the 4TB NAS for onsite backups.

And then I can still use my 750GB external usb drives with server backup to offsite backup anything really important off the 1.5TB drive. I wish server backup was better at backing up to multiple disks, i.e. you could set up specific backup profiles for multiple connected disks rather than just having a backup pool. Because correct me if I'm wrong, but WHS will just fill the first disk, then move on the second, right? This is why I was just using server backup with two drives but only having one (the onsite drive) connected at a time.

Are there any issues with having syncback move the client computer backups from the drive they are stored on to another drive? (i.e. the NAS)

Any other thoughts?

edit:

I was thinking about this on my home from work and RAID0 scares me, I think I would be better off to leave the NAS in RAID1 at 2TB and maybe use both 750GB disks independantly, then I could back one up to the other. Because let's face it, I don't need 4TB of storage space, I never once came close to filling up that 750GB RAID1 array in the past, and now I have an extra 5TB to play around with.

• Edited by xeonic Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:31 AM RAID0 scares me.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 10:36 PM
  • RAID 0, like other spanning technologies, is not reliable. The failure of any disk in a RAID 0 array normally means the loss of all data on the array, and the array overall has to be considered as less reliable than the least reliable disk in the array. As such, RAID 0 should only be used for data which is either A) backed up constantly, or B) data which can be recreated at a moment's notice.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:04 AM
  • Yeah, I think I will stay away from RAID0.

If I use server backup to backup to my external drives for offsite.

Would Macrium Reflect be a good alternative for my onsite backups of drives on my WHS? The latest release supports WHS 2011 and also supports VSS backups.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:18 AM