Unsolicited phone call from PC Needs Microsoft. Legit or Scam? RRS feed

• Question

• I just received a phone call from a lady representing "PC Needs Microsoft". I don't think this is a Microsoft company. She wanted access to my PC to show me the virus infections and application errors. I explained to her that I was in the computer business and a Microsoft Partner and that I had no intention of letting her access my computer as she had requested.  I need to inform my clients about this but I wanted to make sure this was not legit.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:23 PM

Answers

• It's an unfortunately common (and successful) scam - there are any number of posts both here and in the Microsoft Community forums (nee Microsoft Answers forums) on the subject.

It's difficult to know how to deal with these people  - many seem to call back time and again when refused the first time.

General opinion seems to be that a 'this is a monitored police line - please hold while we trace' response gets rid of them fast and forever :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:46 PM

All replies

• It's an unfortunately common (and successful) scam - there are any number of posts both here and in the Microsoft Community forums (nee Microsoft Answers forums) on the subject.

It's difficult to know how to deal with these people  - many seem to call back time and again when refused the first time.

General opinion seems to be that a 'this is a monitored police line - please hold while we trace' response gets rid of them fast and forever :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:46 PM
  • I have been getting calls like this aswell, the police already know about it and the fraud squad , after saying hello I usually say --- police detachment, that has worked after doing it a few times and I rarely get these calls anymore.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:57 PM