Windows Server 2008 / Project Server 2007 / SQL 2000 Compatability RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a project server environment that contains the following servers:

Server1:  Windows Server 2003
    Server2:  Windows Server 2008
    Server3:  Windows Server 2008
    Database:  SQL Server 2000

Server1 currently hosts the Project Application Service.  I need to move the service over to Server2 or 3.  However, I tried to install the SQL Analysis Services components from the SQL Server 2000 CD, but I received a compatibility error message.

What components do I need to install on the Windows Server 2008 machines to be able to host the Project Application Services connected to a SQL 2000 Database Server?  I did find some components listed here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c6c3e9ef-ba29-4a43-8d69-a2bed18fe73c&displaylang=en) that work with SQL 2000, 2005, and 2008.  Will this allow me to host the Project Application Service on my Windows 2008 server?

Thank you!

DP

Thursday, July 8, 2010 6:59 PM

Answers

• Insert SQL 2000 installation CD or open the Network location

Open the following folder and run the setup.exe

\msolap\install\setup.exe

In the componet selection page, select only "Decision Support Objects" and "client components"

Click next and Finish the installation.

Then Install the SQL 2000 Analysis server Service pack 4 from the above said location.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Dp26,

As understand, you have two questions here

1. Issues during installation of SQl Server 2000 analysis services on Windows server 2008

Applications that are incompatible
    Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and earlier versions of SQL Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;948680

2. How to move Project Application Services from one server to another

First verify if Server2 or 3 are working as a WFE or application servers.

GO to Sharepoint Central admin >> Operations >> Services on Server
    From server drop down select server2 or 3 and then select "Project Application" radio button then verify "Project Application Service" is there or not.
    In case if it is there then just start the services also if you want you can stop the project application services on server 1.

Now the second scenario where Server 2, 3 are working as a WFE (Project Application service is not listed) then you need to run the config wizard on server2/3 and detach the server from the Farm.
    Install project server binaries and then attach it to existing farm.
    Once it is done then you can start the project application services on server2/3.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    MOhit 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, MOhit - MSFT (Project) Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Proposed as answer by MOhit Sh - MSFTMember Friday, July 9, 2010 12:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by dp26 Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:57 PM
    Friday, July 9, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Hi MOhit,

Thank you for the response.  That does describe the issue that I am facing.  One more clarification:

The project application service is running fine on Server1(Windows 2003).  I was able to start the service on Server2(Windows 2008) and stop the service on Server1.  Some of the functionality in PWA was not working and there were errors in the event log related to missing DSO components on Server2.

The database server is running SQL 2000.  I attempted to follow the directions to install the appropriate components for SQL 2000 on Server2(Windows 2008), but ran into the compatibility issue. 

So my main question/issue is what components/feature pack do I need to install on on Server2(Windows 2008) to work properly with my database server (SQL 2000)?  Or do I need to upgrade the database server first?

Thanks again,

DP

Friday, July 9, 2010 1:37 AM
  • Hi DP,

Good to know your project services are started on Server2.

About missing DSO components you need to install components from this location

(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8E2DFC8D-C20E-4446-99A9-B7F0213F8BC5&displaylang=en)

Also it seems like you are configuring OLAP (Data analysis) on project server 2007 with analysis services 2000. Please review following article for detailed steps

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197489(office.12).aspx

Thanks

MOhit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, MOhit - MSFT (Project) Microsoft Online Community Support
    Friday, July 9, 2010 12:34 PM
  •  

Hi MOhit,

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, your assumptions about my environment are correct.  However, the issue that I'm running into is when I follow the steps to install the DSO Components on Server2(Windows 2008), I receive the compatibility issue on the step listed below.  I can try it again, but it seems like the compatibility issue between Windows Server 2008 and SQL 2000 is preventing me from installing the SQL 2000 Analysis Services DSO components.

From:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197489%28office.12%29.aspx

Install SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services Decision Support Objects

If you are using SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services with Office Project Server 2007, you need to install the Analysis Services DSO (Decision Support Objects) component on your Project Server application servers. You also need to install SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 for Analysis Services on the DSO component as well.

Note Note:

If SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services is installed on the Project Server application server (for example, a single-computer installation), you do not need to install DSO on that server.

Install SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services Decision Support Objects and Service Pack 4

1. On the Project Server 2007 application server, insert the SQL Server 2000 CD into the CD-ROM drive, or connect to a network installation point.

So is there another route to get this component running on a Windows Server 2008 computer, or do I need to upgrade to SQL 2005/2008 first?

Thanks,

DP

Friday, July 9, 2010 1:16 PM
  • I would recommend you to upgrade the SQL server to 2005 / 2008 to get better performance and support.

Coming to your Question: I have installed this component multiple times on Win2k8 without any issues.

When you install SQL 2000 on Windows2008, Click on 'Run Program' at the compatibility window. Install the Service pack 4 after the installation.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8e2dfc8d-c20e-4446-99a9-b7f0213f8bc5&displaylang=en

SQL2000.AS-KB884525-SP4-x86-ENU.EXE

Monday, July 12, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Hi Sriram Es,

I attempted to run setup.exe for SQL 2000.  However, I did not see an option for Analysis Services as indicated in these steps.  Did i miss something or do I need to do a complete install of SQL 2000 on my Win2008 server (which is not currently my db server)?

1. On the Project Server 2007 application server, insert the SQL Server 2000 CD into the CD-ROM drive, or connect to a network installation point.

2. If you are installing from the SQL Server 2000 CD with AutoPlay enabled, click SQL Server 2000 Components in the SQL Server 2000 Setup program. Otherwise, on the SQL Server CD (or network installation point), browse for and run the file named Autorun.exe.

3. On the Install Components page, click Install Analysis Services .

From:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197489%28office.12%29.aspx

Thanks,

DP

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:28 PM
  • Insert SQL 2000 installation CD or open the Network location

Open the following folder and run the setup.exe

\msolap\install\setup.exe

In the componet selection page, select only "Decision Support Objects" and "client components"

Click next and Finish the installation.

Then Install the SQL 2000 Analysis server Service pack 4 from the above said location.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:55 PM
  • This did the trick.  Initially, I ran the setup.exe in the root directory, which only gave me the database server options.  Running setup from the msolap folder worked.  Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

DP

Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:36 AM