Server kept disconnected after accessing it RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have set up the WHS last week and everything seems working fine. I can access the computer remotely or locally wihtin my home network. All my laptop and desktop have installed the connector and are able to access the shared folder on the WHS without any problem. So I decided to move all my mp3 and video to it. After all files has been moved to the WHS, everything still looks good, I can see all the files in the shared folder on the WHS. However, when I conencted to the WHS from the laptop, I can only get into the step to see what files are inside the shared folder and then the server lost connection even though its still running. I tried on 3 other machines (local connected to the same network), tried to open on the IE or the shared folder shortcut instored with the connector, all allows me to login and then the WHS is not accessible anymore after I tried opening any folder. I have to reboot the server but it didn't solve the problem. I have downloaded all the updates available in Windows Update before I move all the media files on it. Please advise.

Thanks

Simon

Monday, May 31, 2010 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have set up the WHS last week and everything seems working fine. I can access the computer remotely or locally wihtin my home network. All my laptop and desktop have installed the connector and are able to access the shared folder on the WHS without any problem. So I decided to move all my mp3 and video to it. After all files has been moved to the WHS, everything still looks good, I can see all the files in the shared folder on the WHS. However, when I conencted to the WHS from the laptop, I can only get into the step to see what files are inside the shared folder and then the server lost connection even though its still running. I tried on 3 other machines (local connected to the same network), tried to open on the IE or the shared folder shortcut instored with the connector, all allows me to login and then the WHS is not accessible anymore after I tried opening any folder. I have to reboot the server but it didn't solve the problem. I have downloaded all the updates available in Windows Update before I move all the media files on it. Please advise.

Thanks

Simon

Is the WHS connector icon in the system tray green?  Are you able to successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?  Did you install the updates from the Console or from the server desktop?
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Hi Simon,
    how did you move the files to the shared folders - copied over network or locally on the server to drive D:?
    Is your server or are the clients multihomed (more than one network adapter)?
    Can you see any issues in the event log of the server (i.e. disk/ntfs errors)?
    What is the output of ipconfig /all on both a client and the server? (Check also the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server to see, if any of the mentioned issues may plague your network.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:27 AM