Trying to install a network & printer sharing RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Live OneCare Version 1.5.1890.34. I have been trying to upgrade the network in my home from AT&T ethernet with HPNA connectors to a new AT&T wireless & ethernet modem all weekend long. My PC is running Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I have 2 other systems that are running XP 32 bit. One wil be running on my network as wireless & the other is going to be connected via an HPNA connection. I also have a printer attached to my PC that I want to share with the other two PC's. I have made all the adjustments to share the PC's & printers through the firewall adjustments via Windows Live OneCare. I managed to get the wireless to work somehow, though I cannot see it on my PC. I cannot get the HPNA connected PC to work at all. I also cannot get the printer to be shared at all. I have checked various help files and they refer to a Live OneCare circle, but I do not see that in my OneCare box. The help also tells me to go to quicklinks, but I don't see those in my box either. The help screens advise working in the Home Network Management, but that is not in my Live OneCare box either. I need help to get these problems fixed ASAP please. Thank you!

Monday, December 31, 2007 6:47 AM

Answers

• Sorry for the delayed reply, but I never made it to through all the topic folders daily this weekend.

Are all 3 of your computers running 1.5.1890? If so, you really should uninstall and reinstall OneCare on all machines, which will bring you up to date to 2.0. You should be at least at 1.6.x, but it appears that your systems may have encountered a problem with the 1.5 to 1.6 update.

The HPNA connection is not really an issue, as I suspect that you are connecting via Ethernet at the PC. As long as all PCs are on the same network and once you have installed 2.0 on them and configured the firewall to see the network as "home or work" from the OneCare firewall settings, your should be able to proceed with sharing files an printers locally. In fact, 2.0 will probably offer to share the printers for you.

If you encounter any problems with the updates or need further help with the configuration, you can contact support if you wish.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 3:27 PM