Is this version of XP current through SP2? RRS feed

• Question

• Can you tell me if Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, with part number "0304 Part No. X10-52148" is current through Service Pack 2?

Thank you.

Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:23 PM

Answers

• Johnny99,

Genuine Microsoft hologrammed XP CDROMs will have the Service Pack level of the CD printed right in the hologram label.  If your CD does not have anything about the Service Pack level, then it does not have the Service Pack integrated into it.

You might see Service Pack 1, Service Pack 1a, or Service Pack 2.

Monday, June 18, 2007 1:38 PM
  • Dan,

Thanks for your response.  I am unwilling to open the sealed package to examine the CD itself, as that would most likely cause the store I purchased it at to not let me return it.  That's why I was hoping the Product Number would give some clue . . . some Microsoft database would indicate what version that product ID was tied to.  Would the packaging itself give any clue?

Monday, June 18, 2007 1:50 PM
  • Johnny99,

I am not aware of a publically-accessible database with a part number listing.  Searching at Google and Live does not yield any helpful results.

On the OEM license packs CDs that I have here, all are SP2, and if you can read the part number on the CD then you will be able to read the SP level because the SP level appears in much larger font just above the part number.

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:02 PM
  • No, I didn't think there would be a publically accessable database (although a 'parts catalog' is not all that foreign a concept . . . auto dealers have even figured it out ).  Actually, I was hoping some actual Microsoft employee might see the question and be able to access internal databases and provide an answer.

"if you can read the part number on the CD" . . . actually, the part number is on the cardboard package, the CD is totally sealed inside.

"Searching on Google" yielded me one relevant hit on the part number, and that concerned me more, as the post was old enough that it made me suspect that this might be pre-SP2 . . .  Do you happen to remember when SP2 was released?

One last question for you - Am I correct in understanding that you are responding as a good samaratin, and not an employee of Microsoft?  If so, do you happen to know whether any Microsoft employees actually do monitor and respond to questions in the Forum?  Trying to gague whether there is any chance that my "internal database" hope might pan out.

Thanks for your time and assistance!

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:13 PM
  • Johnny99,

It's a good assumption that what your box says is what you have, and if it doesn't say, you don't have it.  IOW, if there is no mention of a SP, then the CD you have will not have any of the SPs applied to it.

SP2 was released in August, 2004.

While there are many different forms of packaging for XP products, the ones that consumers might run across are retail packages (the nice shiny retail box) and the OEM package.

Every OEM package for XP that I have seen has the CD readily visible thru the shrink-wrap and clear cellophane of the CD sleeve.

If you have a retail box, SP2 will be printed in large font in a white triangle in the upper left hand corner.  I don't have any recollection of what the SP1 retail box looked like.

Yes, I am a private individual and not a Microsoft employee.  Microsoft employees do monitor the forum and may be able to provide the needed information.

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:31 PM
  • Johnny,

I can look up the product key for you. Post only the last 15 of the 25 digits of the product key. The product should be on a sticker. There will be 5 digits separated by dashes and will have a total of 25 digits. We really need for you to run the diagnostic test which would require you to install the product. Curious do you have doubts about the product you purchased from whomever the MS Product was purchased? 

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 18, 2007 5:25 PM
  • My doubts were caused by the statement on the packaging that it was "Version 2002".  However, after a trip to the car at lunch, and flipping it over to see that the CD was visible through the clear plastic shrinkwrap, and seeing the embedded hologram stating "Service Pack 2", my doubts have been eased!

Thanks for the suggestion, Dan!  I'll look more closely in the future.

Monday, June 18, 2007 6:24 PM
  • Johnny,

I am glad I could also help.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 18, 2007 6:25 PM

All replies

• Johnny99,

Genuine Microsoft hologrammed XP CDROMs will have the Service Pack level of the CD printed right in the hologram label.  If your CD does not have anything about the Service Pack level, then it does not have the Service Pack integrated into it.

You might see Service Pack 1, Service Pack 1a, or Service Pack 2.

Monday, June 18, 2007 1:38 PM
  • Dan,

Thanks for your response.  I am unwilling to open the sealed package to examine the CD itself, as that would most likely cause the store I purchased it at to not let me return it.  That's why I was hoping the Product Number would give some clue . . . some Microsoft database would indicate what version that product ID was tied to.  Would the packaging itself give any clue?

Monday, June 18, 2007 1:50 PM
  • Johnny99,

I am not aware of a publically-accessible database with a part number listing.  Searching at Google and Live does not yield any helpful results.

On the OEM license packs CDs that I have here, all are SP2, and if you can read the part number on the CD then you will be able to read the SP level because the SP level appears in much larger font just above the part number.

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:02 PM
  • No, I didn't think there would be a publically accessable database (although a 'parts catalog' is not all that foreign a concept . . . auto dealers have even figured it out ).  Actually, I was hoping some actual Microsoft employee might see the question and be able to access internal databases and provide an answer.

"if you can read the part number on the CD" . . . actually, the part number is on the cardboard package, the CD is totally sealed inside.

"Searching on Google" yielded me one relevant hit on the part number, and that concerned me more, as the post was old enough that it made me suspect that this might be pre-SP2 . . .  Do you happen to remember when SP2 was released?

One last question for you - Am I correct in understanding that you are responding as a good samaratin, and not an employee of Microsoft?  If so, do you happen to know whether any Microsoft employees actually do monitor and respond to questions in the Forum?  Trying to gague whether there is any chance that my "internal database" hope might pan out.

Thanks for your time and assistance!

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:13 PM
  • Johnny99,

It's a good assumption that what your box says is what you have, and if it doesn't say, you don't have it.  IOW, if there is no mention of a SP, then the CD you have will not have any of the SPs applied to it.

SP2 was released in August, 2004.

While there are many different forms of packaging for XP products, the ones that consumers might run across are retail packages (the nice shiny retail box) and the OEM package.

Every OEM package for XP that I have seen has the CD readily visible thru the shrink-wrap and clear cellophane of the CD sleeve.

If you have a retail box, SP2 will be printed in large font in a white triangle in the upper left hand corner.  I don't have any recollection of what the SP1 retail box looked like.

Yes, I am a private individual and not a Microsoft employee.  Microsoft employees do monitor the forum and may be able to provide the needed information.

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:31 PM
  • Johnny,

I can look up the product key for you. Post only the last 15 of the 25 digits of the product key. The product should be on a sticker. There will be 5 digits separated by dashes and will have a total of 25 digits. We really need for you to run the diagnostic test which would require you to install the product. Curious do you have doubts about the product you purchased from whomever the MS Product was purchased? 

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 18, 2007 5:25 PM
  • My doubts were caused by the statement on the packaging that it was "Version 2002".  However, after a trip to the car at lunch, and flipping it over to see that the CD was visible through the clear plastic shrinkwrap, and seeing the embedded hologram stating "Service Pack 2", my doubts have been eased!

Thanks for the suggestion, Dan!  I'll look more closely in the future.

Monday, June 18, 2007 6:24 PM
  • Johnny,

I am glad I could also help.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 18, 2007 6:25 PM
  • yes winxp sp 2
    • Proposed as answer by Moncabz Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:30 AM
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:26 AM
  • no it has no service pack 2 disc
    • Proposed as answer by centenio Monday, March 23, 2009 1:22 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2009 1:22 AM