Genuine Advantage confusion! RRS feed

• Question

• I have a genuine copy of Office 2003 and a genuine copy of Visio 2002 running under Win XP SP2 both are running on a laptop and a desktop (iMac Bootcamp).
    Now when I go to update the software the software passes Genuine Advantage on the laptop but WILL NOT pass on the desktop?? I get an answer that the Office 2003 has passed but the Visio has not, so I am asked to uninstall the Visio to be able to use the 'Update' service??
    Both programs have been 'Activated' sucessfully and the fact is acknowledged by the program.
    I have tried to fix this problem by checking and reinstalling Genuine Advantage, but nothing works.
    So how can this be fixed please??
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 11:03 AM

Answers

• Stephen,

I really don’t believe I am going to get this matter resolved here so I have decided that Microsoft software is too much hassle so first choice in future is not to buy it, and second is to manually update whatever I have to use. So, I will not pursue this tiresome quest for fixes in forums which seems to be the only option to overpriced rip-off technical support. And I might add that I do not appreciate the need to reduce my security just to log on to MS forums, it make me nervous after hearing that Microsoft has once again changed files on computers during software updates without permission.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 4:23 AM

All replies

• PeterW2,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question pertains to Office Genuine Advantage.  I suggest posting your question to the Office Genuine Advantage Forum located: 

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1005&SiteID=25

After reading your post please run the diagnostic test and post your results along with question/concerns as well as any errors in the OGA Forum link above. Please follow the steps for running the diagnostic test below:

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you PeterW2,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 7:48 PM
  • sorry what is COA??

1.  using XP Pro SP2
    2.  In 'My Computer' right click 'properties' OEM is in the middle of the Product key but i installed a purchased copy of XP Pro it was not on the computer when i purchased because it is an iMac using Bootcamp?? All info in afore mentioned area is in 'black' lettering.
    3.  No manufacturer mentioned.
    4.  problem as previously described in my first post.

below you have the result of the diagnostic test.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GH2TW-3X3QM-37TV6
    Windows Product Key Hash: AQrWj2aqRiorUPVWLhuv8IhrLSs=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2265283-58662
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {0A129768-6A1E-4496-9B4A-C7C84749A64B}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-152-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{0A129768-6A1E-4496-9B4A-C7C84749A64B}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-37TV6</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2265283-58662</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-73586283-412668190-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Apple Computer, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>iMac4,1</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Apple Computer, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>    IM41.88Z.0055.B08.0610121350</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20061012000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>9E0130770184C07F</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>SE Asia Standard Time(GMT+07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>77335EDF86685D2</Val><Hash>e1CJAj6b8hNd3S47YkqwcxfViUc=</Hash><Pid>70145-745-0358561-57875</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:44 AM

• Sorry Stephen I forgot to mention a couple of things.

1.  I ran the diagnostic but the log was taken AFTER I uninstalled Visio 2202 to be able to get updates for Office 2003, I notice that my Office 2003 passed ok.

2.  The issue seems to be only related to running Visio 2002 on the desktop with Office 2003 and trying to get updates for both?

3.  Regarding the laptop (which does not have the problem) both Office 2003 and Visio 2002 were installed at about the same time at the SAME location which was the place of purchse of both programs.

2.  If i remember correctly I purchased the copy of Visio in Australia and ran it on my laptop, now I am located in a different part of Asia and have it installed on my desktop. Could this have something to do with the problem?? 
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:13 AM
  • Hello Peter,

You should not be having any problems from what the diag results provide. Can you update Office 2003 after you have removed Visio 2002? Please try and re-validate both Windows and Office by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/genuine then locate both "Validate Office" and " Validate Windows" buttons in the upper right -hand corner.  Please attempt validation for both and restart your computer.  Next attempt to download updates. Let me know if there are any problems.  Also all that may be required with Visio is a telephonic activation.  Please let me know what happens.  Thank you.

stephen holm, MS

Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:22 AM

• Hi Stephen,

Regarding the log i sent, remember it was taken AFTER i uninstalled Visio so as Win XP and Office 2003 pass the 'Genuine' check the log will probably look ok.

Yes I can update Office after i uninstall Visio 2002.
    Win is checked as genuine.
    Office 2003 is checked as genuine.
    Both Office 2003 and Visio 2002 are 'Activated'

I just reinstalled and registered Visio using the phone, first i registed at the location i purchased Office and Visio which was Australia (i even reset the local time zone on the computer) and i get the same result, Visio is 'Activated' sucessfully but when i try to update Office on the web i get the message that Visio has failed GA. I also uninstalled Visio again (deleted the log file) and registered again locally, i got exactly the same negative result.
    This a real problem because i want to use Visio but when it is installed I can not update Office 2003, also i can not get the updates needed for Visio 2002 !! This is really a pain, i buy original product and can not use it normally, i hope you can save the day and give me a fix for this.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:22 AM

• Hi Stephen,

Regarding the log i sent, remember it was taken AFTER i uninstalled Visio so as Win XP and Office 2003 pass the 'Genuine' check the log will probably look ok.

Yes I can update Office after i uninstall Visio 2002.
    Win is checked as genuine.
    Office 2003 is checked as genuine.
    Both Office 2003 and Visio 2002 are 'Activated'

I just reinstalled and registered Visio using the phone, first i registed at the location i purchased Office and Visio which was Australia (i even reset the local time zone on the computer) and i get the same result, Visio is 'Activated' sucessfully but when i try to update Office on the web i get the message that Visio has failed GA. I also uninstalled Visio again (deleted the log file) and registered again locally, i got exactly the same negative result.
    This a real problem because i want to use Visio but when it is installed I can not update Office 2003, also i can not get the updates needed for Visio 2002 !! This is really a pain, i buy original product and can not use it normally, i hope you can save the day and give me a fix for this.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 2:20 AM

• Hello Stephen,

Ihave not received a reply from you from my last post??
    Thursday, October 4, 2007 3:02 AM
  • PeterW2,

Please install and activate your copy of Visio 2002 on the two computers.

Then, go to this link and validate Office on both computers:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=0c6c9a53-1143-4041-911e-ed368a1b413e

The, run the mgadiag utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 on each computer, click the "Copy" button on the Windows tab and them paste the report from each computer into a response in this thread.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:39 PM

• Stephen,
    I really dont believe I am going to get this matter resolved here so I have decided that Microsoft software is too much hassle so from now on my first choice is not to buy it, and second is to manually update whatever I have to use. So, I will not pursue this tiresome quest for fixes in forums which seems to be the only option to overpriced rip-off technical support. And I might add that I do not appreciate the need to reduce my security just to log on to MS forums, it make me nervous after hearing that Microsoft has once again changed files on computers during software updates without permission.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 4:17 AM

• Stephen,

I really don’t believe I am going to get this matter resolved here so I have decided that Microsoft software is too much hassle so first choice in future is not to buy it, and second is to manually update whatever I have to use. So, I will not pursue this tiresome quest for fixes in forums which seems to be the only option to overpriced rip-off technical support. And I might add that I do not appreciate the need to reduce my security just to log on to MS forums, it make me nervous after hearing that Microsoft has once again changed files on computers during software updates without permission.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 4:23 AM