none
How does WHS handle disk partitions on restore and how do you backup WHS OS? RRS feed

• Question

• Lets say that the worst happens and one of my machines dies and needs a new hard drive. When I install the new hard drive and use the WHS restore CD, how is the new drive partitioned? If I put in a bigger hard drive how does it partion the new drive? Does it use the whole drive for that partition or does it give you an option of how you want the new disk partitioned? Usually I partition C: as the operating system and D: as the data drive so I don't have to do 500G backups just to restore the operating system.

My second question is how do I backup the WHS operating system and does WHS provide itself with some sort of self backup utility where it keeps another image of the OS on one of the other drives in the system? What is the accepted way of recovering from a server crash?

Perry
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:01 PM

All replies

• Perry:

WHS can only restore to existing partitions, so you must partition your new disk before restoring anything to it. The restore CD contains a copy of Vista Disk Management Console which will allow you to set up new partitions on a new, blank hard disk while booted to the restore CD. One complication is that the new partition(s) must be approximately the same size or larger than the partition(s) from the backup.

The operating system on WHS does not back itself up. There is a process called server restoration which you can do from the WHS install CDs that will restore the operating system without data loss. You can use this procedure to recover from a server crash.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:56 PM