XP Pro stopped validating RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows XP Pro SP2 installed on two computers that I built.  The operating system's were purchased from pixeltronics.com two years ago and both have been validating until recently. Now they don't.  The WGA tool says that they both have geographically blocked PID's. The product Key tool shows that both keys match what is installed. The operating system disks that pixeltronics sold me are an Acer and a Dell Reinstallation disk (originals).  They also provided backup cd's to use for installing the operating system. The WGA tech support people say that I should qualify for the complimentary replacement offer, but the report generator asks if the cd's have holograms.  They don't as they are reinstall disks, but I believe that they are genuine Acer and Dell disks. Why did they stop validating? Can I somehow request the complimentary XP Pro disks from Microsoft or will I have to purchase the discounted version?
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:41 PM

Answers

• Acer and Dell Reinstallation discs can only be used to install Windows on an Acer or Dell computer.  They are likely not couterfeit discs...you simply did not use them to install on an Acer or Dell branded computer.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:58 PM
  •  jagrand wrote:
    I have Windows XP Pro SP2 installed on two computers that I built.  The operating system's were purchased from pixeltronics.com two years ago and both have been validating until recently. Now they don't.  The WGA tool says that they both have geographically blocked PID's. The product Key tool shows that both keys match what is installed. The operating system disks that pixeltronics sold me are an Acer and a Dell Reinstallation disk (originals).  They also provided backup cd's to use for installing the operating system. The WGA tech support people say that I should qualify for the complimentary replacement offer, but the report generator asks if the cd's have holograms.  They don't as they are reinstall disks, but I believe that they are genuine Acer and Dell disks. Why did they stop validating? Can I somehow request the complimentary XP Pro disks from Microsoft or will I have to purchase the discounted version?

Hi jagrand,

VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VLk editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

My suggestions would be:

a) Click on the Genuine "star" icon in your notification area (aka system tray) and follow the prompts/links to submit a counterfeit report. (NOTE: Only IF the counterfeit is found to be High Quality, will you be provided a complimentary XP disk).  Go to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/default.mspx for examples of low to high quality counterfeits.

or

b) If it is not a High Quality counterfeit are you are unsure and don't want to risk it, Contact pixeltronics.com and demand the Genuine Windows XP software, that you paid for.

Thanks,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:56 AM
  • Pixeltronics.com no longer pulls up as a web site and can't be found thru a search.  The Dell and Acer reinstall disks appear to be genuine, but the install disks are not hologramed copies so apparently won't qualify for the complimentary offer. There were a lot of software sellers selling OEM disks that were claimed to work on all PC's at the time I purchased these.  It all seemed legitimate to me at the time of purchase. They were installed as an upgrade from Windows ME. It looks like I'll be stuck with Microsofts $149 offer to supply me with a certified disk. Thanks for the info.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:51 AM
  • I am in the same boat. I have 5(five) copies of XP pro bought from Pixeltronics that they assured me was okay to use and legal before I bought them. Three on my computers at home plus two more on other computers I use elsewhere. Pixeltronics are now nowhere to be found and I have five computers that need to be fixed. I am not going to pay any more money on top of what was already paid. WHy should I? I bought what I thought was legal disk in good faith.  I will put Linux on these unless Microsoft comes up with a better solution than what they have so far. These are licensed original disks but of course no hologram. I know many people besides myself who are screaming at this. I have the proof of purchase but what good does it do? Microsoft needs to make this right and include people who got stuck with OEM disk. They never should have accepted them in the first place instead of validating them then and now over a year later, they are bad. If it had happenned at first maybe we could have gotten our money back but there is no way now. So yes I am furious at Microsoft and I will not back down in my opinion!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 4:53 PM
  • Phoooey,

Seems like there are others who have experienced the same situation as you. We are sorry to hear about what has happened. I attempted to look up the company online and they appear to not be available. Did you file a piracy report?  It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a vidtim to assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  Also contact the Better Business Bureau. In turn they may be to assist and/or provide information about the company. Another solution is purchasing the WGA kits directly from MS. Unfortunately there aren't any other options available unless the software purchased is a high quality counterfeit copy. In this case you may be eligible for free copies. 

Regards,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:04 PM
  • Since I did not find out until recently that these installations were not valid as I stated, no I have not filed a piracy report. I will be glad too since I still have a copy of one of the invoices. Now as I have stated the disks are original disks. One is for a DELL system which flat out states on it, that it CAN BE USED FOR ALL PC SYSTEMS. Another is for an HP but none have the hologram which disallows me from getting  free replacements which sucks. I have already paid once for these and I AM NOT and I REPEAT I AM NOT going to pay anyone including the MS WGA kits another cent. There has to be a way since these are original disks from various Mfg. I will be forced to turn to Linux if it comes to that. Escalate this please.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:09 AM
  • Phoooey,

You originally posted that you have five computers, 3 at one location and 2 at another.

Of these five computers, do any have a genuine Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity affixed?  This link http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx will help you with recognizing CoAs.

Post back and let us know!

Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:27 PM
  • Phoooey,

First we need the information Dan indicated. This is important information. We are trying to help you but in order for this to happen please provide the additional information. Unfortunately the purchased software came from a company who appears out of business etc. This is why I suggested contacting the BBB for the state where the company is located. Maybe they can provide some assistance. 

Tell us the type of systems which you have, 3 dell's and 2 HPs?  There are some options available. Physically check each PC and see if there are any COA's located on them. Next you can contact manafacturer and explain the media you have is non-genuine. Also you can work with Microsoft and file a piracy report. As far as the HP disc you described work with HP. Lastly you have the option of purchasing the WGA kits. It is very unfortunate what has happened to you. The Windows Genuine Program (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer.  It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim to assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:26 PM
  • First off it is five computers. The disks I mentioned were just the two I had in front of me at that moment. And as to the systems, I built three of them myself, one is a Gateway I upgraded, and the other is an HP I upgraded. AND I REPEAT I AM NOT BUYING ANY WGA KIT! I have spent money already to upgrade two and built three with what I thought and was assured was legal Win XP Pro. I am absolutely disgusted with this and ready to rip it off and put Linux on them and never use another Microsoft product again. I am getting no where with MS! Don't bother anymore.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 1:22 AM
  • PHooey,

Again I am sorry to hear about the situation which you are experiencing. There are processes in place to assist you. It is important for customers as you to submit piracy reports. This could help you as well as countless others. Unfortunately we can't control what is being sold but we try to educate our valued customers. This is why the WGA program is here. I can sense the frustration and we can provide guidance which you may take. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, July 20, 2007 10:43 PM

All replies

• Acer and Dell Reinstallation discs can only be used to install Windows on an Acer or Dell computer.  They are likely not couterfeit discs...you simply did not use them to install on an Acer or Dell branded computer.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:58 PM
  •  jagrand wrote:
    I have Windows XP Pro SP2 installed on two computers that I built.  The operating system's were purchased from pixeltronics.com two years ago and both have been validating until recently. Now they don't.  The WGA tool says that they both have geographically blocked PID's. The product Key tool shows that both keys match what is installed. The operating system disks that pixeltronics sold me are an Acer and a Dell Reinstallation disk (originals).  They also provided backup cd's to use for installing the operating system. The WGA tech support people say that I should qualify for the complimentary replacement offer, but the report generator asks if the cd's have holograms.  They don't as they are reinstall disks, but I believe that they are genuine Acer and Dell disks. Why did they stop validating? Can I somehow request the complimentary XP Pro disks from Microsoft or will I have to purchase the discounted version?

Hi jagrand,

VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VLk editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

My suggestions would be:

a) Click on the Genuine "star" icon in your notification area (aka system tray) and follow the prompts/links to submit a counterfeit report. (NOTE: Only IF the counterfeit is found to be High Quality, will you be provided a complimentary XP disk).  Go to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/default.mspx for examples of low to high quality counterfeits.

or

b) If it is not a High Quality counterfeit are you are unsure and don't want to risk it, Contact pixeltronics.com and demand the Genuine Windows XP software, that you paid for.

Thanks,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:56 AM
  • Pixeltronics.com no longer pulls up as a web site and can't be found thru a search.  The Dell and Acer reinstall disks appear to be genuine, but the install disks are not hologramed copies so apparently won't qualify for the complimentary offer. There were a lot of software sellers selling OEM disks that were claimed to work on all PC's at the time I purchased these.  It all seemed legitimate to me at the time of purchase. They were installed as an upgrade from Windows ME. It looks like I'll be stuck with Microsofts $149 offer to supply me with a certified disk. Thanks for the info.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:51 AM
  • I am in the same boat. I have 5(five) copies of XP pro bought from Pixeltronics that they assured me was okay to use and legal before I bought them. Three on my computers at home plus two more on other computers I use elsewhere. Pixeltronics are now nowhere to be found and I have five computers that need to be fixed. I am not going to pay any more money on top of what was already paid. WHy should I? I bought what I thought was legal disk in good faith.  I will put Linux on these unless Microsoft comes up with a better solution than what they have so far. These are licensed original disks but of course no hologram. I know many people besides myself who are screaming at this. I have the proof of purchase but what good does it do? Microsoft needs to make this right and include people who got stuck with OEM disk. They never should have accepted them in the first place instead of validating them then and now over a year later, they are bad. If it had happenned at first maybe we could have gotten our money back but there is no way now. So yes I am furious at Microsoft and I will not back down in my opinion!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 4:53 PM
  • Phoooey,

Seems like there are others who have experienced the same situation as you. We are sorry to hear about what has happened. I attempted to look up the company online and they appear to not be available. Did you file a piracy report?  It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a vidtim to assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  Also contact the Better Business Bureau. In turn they may be to assist and/or provide information about the company. Another solution is purchasing the WGA kits directly from MS. Unfortunately there aren't any other options available unless the software purchased is a high quality counterfeit copy. In this case you may be eligible for free copies. 

Regards,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:04 PM
  • Since I did not find out until recently that these installations were not valid as I stated, no I have not filed a piracy report. I will be glad too since I still have a copy of one of the invoices. Now as I have stated the disks are original disks. One is for a DELL system which flat out states on it, that it CAN BE USED FOR ALL PC SYSTEMS. Another is for an HP but none have the hologram which disallows me from getting  free replacements which sucks. I have already paid once for these and I AM NOT and I REPEAT I AM NOT going to pay anyone including the MS WGA kits another cent. There has to be a way since these are original disks from various Mfg. I will be forced to turn to Linux if it comes to that. Escalate this please.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:09 AM
  • Phoooey,

You originally posted that you have five computers, 3 at one location and 2 at another.

Of these five computers, do any have a genuine Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity affixed?  This link http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx will help you with recognizing CoAs.

Post back and let us know!

Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:27 PM
  • Phoooey,

First we need the information Dan indicated. This is important information. We are trying to help you but in order for this to happen please provide the additional information. Unfortunately the purchased software came from a company who appears out of business etc. This is why I suggested contacting the BBB for the state where the company is located. Maybe they can provide some assistance. 

Tell us the type of systems which you have, 3 dell's and 2 HPs?  There are some options available. Physically check each PC and see if there are any COA's located on them. Next you can contact manafacturer and explain the media you have is non-genuine. Also you can work with Microsoft and file a piracy report. As far as the HP disc you described work with HP. Lastly you have the option of purchasing the WGA kits. It is very unfortunate what has happened to you. The Windows Genuine Program (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer.  It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim to assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:26 PM
  • First off it is five computers. The disks I mentioned were just the two I had in front of me at that moment. And as to the systems, I built three of them myself, one is a Gateway I upgraded, and the other is an HP I upgraded. AND I REPEAT I AM NOT BUYING ANY WGA KIT! I have spent money already to upgrade two and built three with what I thought and was assured was legal Win XP Pro. I am absolutely disgusted with this and ready to rip it off and put Linux on them and never use another Microsoft product again. I am getting no where with MS! Don't bother anymore.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 1:22 AM
  • PHooey,

Again I am sorry to hear about the situation which you are experiencing. There are processes in place to assist you. It is important for customers as you to submit piracy reports. This could help you as well as countless others. Unfortunately we can't control what is being sold but we try to educate our valued customers. This is why the WGA program is here. I can sense the frustration and we can provide guidance which you may take. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, July 20, 2007 10:43 PM