WHS Console won't connect to server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, 

I have two pc's, Vista and Windows XP and a WHS server wired to a DLink gigabit switch which connects to a 2Wire router. 

Both pcs can not connect to my server. They were working perfectly last week. There have been no software or hardware changes. I noticed that the taskbar icon was gray (on both machines) and the scheduled backup was not performed eventhough I could open the WHSC window. I uninstalled the connector software on the Vista pc and when I tried to reinstall with the CD, in the "Now Configuring Your Computer" window, the Configuring computer backup message is "Ensure that your home server is powered on and connected. To try again, click Back. If the problem persists, contact Product Support.... The server was definitely powered up and connected based on the DLink light panel indicators.

I inserted the server IP address in the Vista host file and tried again. It downloaded the software from the server but I still got the same error message. 

I can ping the server by IP address and name from the client and ipconfig on the server shows the correct info. On the XP pc, when I select Computers and Backup, then the XP line, the Backup Now option is grayed out. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    installing the connector software from the CD should only be done with a fresh installed WHS.
    All other installations should be done either from \\server\software\Home Server Connector Software share or via http://server:55000, because a mismatched version may cause the installation to fail.

Can you still access the shares or is the server totally invisible?
    Did you already try to reboot the server?
    What for a server is it - a self built or an OEM system?

Which DNS server do you use for the server and client IP configuration (ipconfig /all should show)? Is there any DNS suffix in the configuration?

Last week was also patch day, so maybe something affected your system here.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Rgiskard Monday, February 16, 2009 7:40 PM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    installing the connector software from the CD should only be done with a fresh installed WHS.
    All other installations should be done either from \\server\software\Home Server Connector Software share or via http://server:55000, because a mismatched version may cause the installation to fail.

Can you still access the shares or is the server totally invisible?
    Did you already try to reboot the server?
    What for a server is it - a self built or an OEM system?

Which DNS server do you use for the server and client IP configuration (ipconfig /all should show)? Is there any DNS suffix in the configuration?

Last week was also patch day, so maybe something affected your system here.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Rgiskard Monday, February 16, 2009 7:40 PM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:28 AM
  •  

Hi Olaf,

Thanks for responding. It's a self built server. Last night I turned the server off and this afternoon after reading your response, I tried installing WHSC from WHS folder and it worked this time! Guess it was the server reboot that clinched it. I configured the Vista pc for backups and it appears to be good to go. The XP pc is also reconnected to the server and is ready for it's next backup.

I never would have thought to reboot the server since it hibernates when it's not doing a backup. 

Thanks for your help Olaf

Monday, February 16, 2009 7:40 PM