Dual Boot PCs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I have two PCs that have XP Pro on the C drive and Vista Business on the D drive.  I assume that whichever OS is running is the one that will get backed up and checked out.  How does that effect the status of the "other" one?  Probably like it's turned off, right?  I used the Connect software to set up each one separately.

Would it make a difference if I set up a dual boot with both OS's on the C drive?  Before I update my other two systems (which will be XP Home and Vista Home Premium) I'd like some advice...

thanks.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 7:41 PM

Answers

• If you have a dual boot system, then you can install the WHS connector software on each machine, but it isn't required.  I would install the connector software on the system that you use most frequently.  When a backup occurs it will backup all of the hard drives as well as master boot record.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 7:58 PM
  • On multi-boot PCs, it's not recommended to install the WHS connector on more than one OS. Each operating system looks like a separate PC to WHS, so you use up two (or more) client connections for a single computer. Also, you typically use one OS most of the time, and the other(s) infrequently. WHS expects each of those operating systems to be backed up each night, and will generate warnings if they have not been.

As long as all drives are formatted with NTFS, the connector can back up everything, even operating systems that are inactive.
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 8:57 PM

All replies

• If you have a dual boot system, then you can install the WHS connector software on each machine, but it isn't required.  I would install the connector software on the system that you use most frequently.  When a backup occurs it will backup all of the hard drives as well as master boot record.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 7:58 PM
  • On multi-boot PCs, it's not recommended to install the WHS connector on more than one OS. Each operating system looks like a separate PC to WHS, so you use up two (or more) client connections for a single computer. Also, you typically use one OS most of the time, and the other(s) infrequently. WHS expects each of those operating systems to be backed up each night, and will generate warnings if they have not been.

As long as all drives are formatted with NTFS, the connector can back up everything, even operating systems that are inactive.
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 8:57 PM