locked
Remote Access Not Available, kinda RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm having a little trouble with remote access on my new WHS server.  I recently built the server and have updated it with all of the Microsoft updates post-PP3.  Everything seems to be in good working order but Remote Access reports that it is not available.  Setting up the domain worked just fine.  I use a static public IP address.  The Windows Firewall service is disabled.  Shields up shows both ports 80 and 443 opened.  In the UPNP section of my Linksys RV042 router there are the following entries:

    • WHS 4125 (TCP/4125 > 4125) > 192.168.2.***
    • WHS_80 (TCP /80 >80) > 192.168.2.***
    • WHS_443 (TCP /443>443) >192.168.2.***
    • Under 'Firewall' in this router there are no entries
    • Under 'Forwarding' (port forwarding) there are no entries

    I assume that the UPnP section somehow magically ties the usually necessary entries in Firewall and Forwarding together to make the needed exceptions.  Despite all of this though the wizard confirms that my site is available locally, configures my router using UPnP standards, and the fails when verifiying that my remote web site is available from the Internet and I can't figure out why.

    Here's the kicker - I can access the site from the web sometimes.  When I do I have two problems:

    1. Internet Explorer 8 complains about the site's security certificate and no matter how I Install it I can't get it to stop complaining
    2. Sometimes I don't get to see the site, instead I get what looks like a typical Windows security box prompting me for credentials.  Here it doesn't matter if I put in a user's name and password or the admin's name and password - I'M ALWAYS REJECTED.

    I'm guessing that the sporadic ability to connect successfully has something to do with the fact that Remote Access doesn't believe it's available.  So . . . what else should I be looking at to help Remote Access be available.  Note:  I've tried turning off RA and turning it back on to no avail.

    Thanks for the help and ideas,

    MJ

     

    Just a note:  I disabled UPnP in the router and manually forwarded the above ports and created access rules for them as well.  Didn't solve the problem.

    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:09 PM

All replies

  • im having the same problem only i dont have a static ip mine is a dynamic from isp comcast

    ok woke up this morning and all is well a question for MWLAZ do you use a .homeserver.com way of accessing you home server if so maybe it was down last night who knows

    Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:05 AM
  • I do use .homeserver.com but I've had the problem since implementation.  I recently changed the remote access port for the router from 80 which could explain the different login screen I was getting (perhaps instead of routing me to the WHS I was being sent to the router) but this doesn't really address the problem I'm having with the home server website being not available.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Try enabling intranet mode - that should sort out the certificate problems in your browser. I would enable UPnP and use that instead of manual port forwarding as from the entries it seems to be working fine. I had similar problems using ie8 until I enabled intranet mode
    • Proposed as answer by Mightee Mo Monday, May 31, 2010 5:22 PM
    Monday, May 31, 2010 5:21 PM