WHS File Conflicts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I built a Server a couple of years ago which was running Windows 2003 Server with no problems.
    It is a Dual Xeon processor machine each being 3Ghz Hyperthreading processors and with 1.5 Gb of Ram.

The system drive is a 300Gb drive which the system partioned upon a clean install (not upgrade) of WHS.

I then installed ALL the updates using windows update.

Then I fitted the adittional 6 drives for storage and created shared folders fron the console.

All my music, films, series and additional data was then coppied over the network from my other computers to the shared folders.

I installed Avast antivirus.

I then started getting File Conflict errors in the console - The group or source is not in the correct state message.

The only solution seems to be to delete the file and the a while (mins or hours as unattended) later the message returned with other files having the same problem.

I removed Avast Antivirus and I'm running NONE at present.

The same problems persist so I don't think its Avast.

I am considering ditching WHS and going back to 2003 Server as the reliability seems appauling unless someone can help.
    Microsoft don't seem at all interested when I call. They say contact the OEM which is ME! Aargh!

Any ideas folks?

Kind regards

Paul

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:12 PM

All replies

• The only solution seems to be to delete the file and a while (mins or hours as unattended) later the message returned with other files having the same problem.

Sorry for the Typo!

These file conflict errors are multiplying!
    I have 6 messages containing about 6 or 8 file in each now.

HELP!

Paul
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Per this FAQ, that specific category of "file conflict" error usually indicates a problem with either an AV product on your server or with your storage subsystems. The most common storage proglem is a failing hard drive, so could you please run chkdsk on all the drives in your server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:35 PM
  •  please run chkdsk on all the drives in your server?

.... and if that doesn't work have you tried a server reinstall? That would clean anything left over from the AV uninstall and remove all traces of add-ins.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Did you also check the event log of the server in case, there are already any problems manifesting (i.e. ntfs or disk related errors)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:32 PM