Server Hardware RRS feed

• Question

•  

I want to eventually own my own Home Server running this software but I am having trouble deciding what server I should get.

My two choices are

HP Media Smart Server EX470 $599

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/desktop/desktop_hp/home_servers/1/accessories/GG795AA%2523ABA;HHOJSID=q9THHQshrgfwj4LpVJ5fqhF2yFQgrv2llQGLrTbF1pTJGN1ycfBy!-55566171

or

Dell PowerEdge T105 $399 + I will have to buy the Home Server OEM software seperately $150

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bedwv1f&s=bsd

I am buying for the long term here and whichever I choose I want it to last as long as possible which is why I'm buying new.

The Pros and Cons I see for each of these are for the HP it has 4 hard drive bays for far greater expandibility but only has 512 mb of ram. I don't think HP ever inteded for users to upgrade the memory on their own. Since it has no DVD drive, only if HP provides special upgrade media will I be able to use a next version of home server. It it an all in one package so I won't have to do much tinkering. For the Dell it only 2 hard drive bays. But I can take out a hard drive and make it an external one if necessary. I'm used to working on computers and I can expand the memory easily and the server has Windows 2003 and 2008 drivers so I shouldn't have any problem going to the next version whenever it becomes available.

What do you all think?

Thursday, March 13, 2008 1:36 AM

All replies

•  PARADOX412 wrote:

I want to eventually own my own Home Server running this software but I am having trouble deciding what server I should get.

My two choices are

HP Media Smart Server EX470 $599

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/desktop/desktop_hp/home_servers/1/accessories/GG795AA%2523ABA;HHOJSID=q9THHQshrgfwj4LpVJ5fqhF2yFQgrv2llQGLrTbF1pTJGN1ycfBy!-55566171

or

Dell PowerEdge T105 $399 + I will have to buy the Home Server OEM software seperately $150

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bedwv1f&s=bsd

I am buying for the long term here and whichever I choose I want it to last as long as possible which is why I'm buying new.

The Pros and Cons I see for each of these are for the HP it has 4 hard drive bays for far greater expandibility but only has 512 mb of ram. I don't think HP ever inteded for users to upgrade the memory on their own. Since it has no DVD drive, only if HP provides special upgrade media will I be able to use a next version of home server. It it an all in one package so I won't have to do much tinkering. For the Dell it only 2 hard drive bays. But I can take out a hard drive and make it an external one if necessary. I'm used to working on computers and I can expand the memory easily and the server has Windows 2003 and 2008 drivers so I shouldn't have any problem going to the next version whenever it becomes available.

What do you all think?

Well, some of the forum posters keep pushing these machines:

http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?qfind=ML110

It looks like they can be had for a good price.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:44 AM
  •  

I'm afraid I can't see such a good price on the ML110 G4 stateside.    Which is a first!
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 1:36 PM
  •  

With the realization that many, perhaps most, WHS units are headless, wouldn't it be safe to assume that MS, itself, would provide media for version 2 that can be installed just as HP provides for "reinstallation" now?  From a sales standpoint, it would be idiotic for them not to do so, not that MS hasn't done some apparently idiotic things in the recent past (witness the WHS "backup solution" that gives backups that cannot be validated, either automatically or manually).
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:10 PM
  •  milleron wrote:

With the realization that many, perhaps most, WHS units are headless, wouldn't it be safe to assume that MS, itself, would provide media for version 2 that can be installed just as HP provides for "reinstallation" now?  From a sales standpoint, it would be idiotic for them not to do so, not that MS hasn't done some apparently idiotic things in the recent past (witness the WHS "backup solution" that gives backups that cannot be validated, either automatically or manually).

Microsoft can't do this because they don't know the hardware being used.  It is the end manufacturers responsibility to do this because they know the drivers needed to run WHS on their hardware.  If you have the knowledge, you could make your own headless installation disk for *your* hardware configuration using the WHS install disk.  (look up slipstreaming if you're interested)
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:47 PM
  • Ron, every vendor is going to have a slightly different implementation of the server recovery/factory reset methodology. The basic component, though, is a WinPE application that resides in (usually) flash RAM on the server, and is booted when you press an appropriate button on the server during boot. Since that application has to be at least somewhat customized to support the particular hardware it's going to run on, and since it requires support for the "recovery boot" functionality from the hardware/BIOS, I don't think there's any way that Microsoft can make this available to an end user of WHS.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:57 PM
  • Yes, I would be interested in the ML110 G4 if I could find a good price in the United States. Only the HP and the Dell met my qualifications.

I would like to assume HP will provide upgrade media, but who knows for sure. In my opinion by making the unit only have 512 mb of ram they limited the upgrade possibilities over the long term. I would think that if version 2 was based off of Windows 2008 it would require 1 gig of ram.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:35 PM
  • I went through the same choice and I'm very happy I selected the Dell T105.  The Opteron chip is way above the Sempron in the HP.  The server is very quiet.  Installation of WHS from OEM was easy,  The splash screen when booting WHS was Server 2003, so I used the Server 2003 drivers for network and video from the Dell CDs.  The DVD drive was free when ordering.  I share your concern about only having two drive bays and may end up replacing the second 250 with a larger drive before it's too late.

There is plenty of room and a spare SATA connector in the case so I have thoughts of custom mounting a third internal drive.  Thoughts on that?

Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Dear PARADOX412,

Have you decided which one? If Dell T105 is the one, can you share some of your experieces?
    I plan to purchase a Dell PowerEdge T105 at discount price and install WHS as you did.  Could you please let me know what I should do to avoid any problems. The T105 that I plan to purchase is a Dual Core AMD, 2GB Memory, 16X SATA DVD, with 2 160GB SATA HD.  Thanks.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 12:48 AM
  • Well, some of the forum posters keep pushing these machines:

http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?qfind=ML110

It looks like they can be had for a good price.

that's a bit of a bargin.

does anyone have a power meter?  am interested in the wall-plug power draw.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:20 AM