Virus Checking on the WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Can I install MIcrosoft Security Essentials I do I need to purchase Forefront or Kaspersky as a "server level"  virus checking program?

Sunday, April 4, 2010 5:42 PM

Answers

• Can I install MIcrosoft Security Essentials I do I need to purchase Forefront or Kaspersky as a "server level"  virus checking program?

You shouldn't install any of those on your server.  You should only install an A/V that is WHS-aware (as other A/Vs may have trouble with dealing how WHS handles files).  avast! and F-Secure both make WHS-specific versions, as does McAfee (although I don't think it's available for end-user purchase; it's usually supplied by an OEM manufacturer, such as HP).
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 7:51 PM

All replies

You shouldn't install any of those on your server.  You should only install an A/V that is WHS-aware (as other A/Vs may have trouble with dealing how WHS handles files).  avast! and F-Secure both make WHS-specific versions, as does McAfee (although I don't think it's available for end-user purchase; it's usually supplied by an OEM manufacturer, such as HP).
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 7:51 PM
  • This is quite worrying. I was delighted to get Microsoft Security Essentials on all my Home PC's. But now I have an exposure with my Homeserver. I recommend Microsoft have a version of Forefront for the Home Server. This will get people familiar with the product, give them home security and also give them familiarity so they will purchase forefront for their office server (SBS etc). I will check out the 2 you mention.
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 8:04 PM
  • This is quite worrying. I was delighted to get Microsoft Security Essentials on all my Home PC's. But now I have an exposure with my Homeserver. I recommend Microsoft have a version of Forefront for the Home Server. This will get people familiar with the product, give them home security and also give them familiarity so they will purchase forefront for their office server (SBS etc). I will check out the 2 you mention.
    I don't ever see any version of Forefront being designed for WHS.  I believe it's far too "business-centric" for that to occur, plus the target audience of this product is the average user that is not familiar with the inner-workings of computers/networks, not the IT person who works with SBS or any other server on a regular basis.  However, I could see a market for a WHS-specific version of MSE.
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 9:03 PM
  • Excellent solution. I hope you can talk them into it asap. :-)

Sunday, April 4, 2010 10:28 PM
  • Excellent solution. I hope you can talk them into it asap. :-)
    While I would love to be able to say "Absolutely! I'll make sure MS gets right on it!!", the reality is... that's not reality.  :)  The best course of action would be to file a suggestion on Connect (or better yet, vote for this one, which already exists).
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 11:19 PM