none
Failed/missing drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am experiencing a random loss of one Seagate 750 GB drive from a 7 disk WHS "oem version" rig.

It is attached to a PCI SATA controller with a couple other disks that do not experience the random "missing drive" issue. The system has been up and running in this configuration for months, no recent changes, no prior issues. The disks are all less than ~1 yr old.
    -
    The disk manager add in reports it as something like "failure predicted: true" WHS reports it as healthy. From time to time, it just comes up missing. I have moved its connection, to another port, WHS finds it, but, eventually, it goes missing again.
    -
    Any thought on this? Can I offer a better description/more data?

----------------

So, to get rid of this disk, I tried to remove it via the console. This failed.
    -
    The process starts, a few minutes later the console icon in the task bar gives the notification the drive has failed, suggests I remove and replace it. Then, a few minutes later the console reports removing the drive has failed, and offers me the option to cancel or retry. Retry does not work.
    -
    At this point, the drive is again missing from the storage pool and on several attempts the console reports the server is no longer on the network. I have not had any of these issues prior to this disk becoming flaky.  i do not suspect a connection issue, as this machine has been running since the beta on the same hardware and never gone missing.

---------------

How am I going to get rid of the "bad" drive if I cannot remove it via the console?  

What will happen to my system if I cannot remove it via the console and just take it out?

How will I resolve the resulting file conflicts if this is the only option?

I would prefer to retrieve the data, but, saving the system is more important. I will try to access the "bad" drive on a PC, see what is there, if that is the only option.

Thank you, please let me know if you need more info, Michael

Michael
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

"failure predicted: true"
    this comes from the SMART error detection of the disk itself. If a certain threshold for some parameters is over the top, a failure is very much to assume (but the console does not examine disks for SMART errors).

How am I going to get rid of the "bad" drive if I cannot remove it via the console?  
    Did you apply all Windows Home Server updates after Power Pack 1 to the system? One of those fixed some difficulties removing disks via console.

What will happen to my system if I cannot remove it via the console and just take it out?
    It will get upset - how it responds, is up to the system - normally a disk should simply been reported as missing.

Again by trying to remove the disk via console.

This FAQ gives you some points where to look for data on your old disk.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by mrazey Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:39 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:50 PM
  • Olaf, thank you for the reply.

I have the power pack, and the updates were current the last time I checked, I couple months ago, set to auto, I will check that this afternoon.

--

If I remove the disk will the system always report it as "missing"? Can I get rid of this?

---

"How will I resolve the resulting file conflicts if this is the only option?
    Again by trying to remove the disk via console."

---

Assuming my experience continues to be failure upon removal of the attached disk via the console, can I remove the disk via the console when the disk is no longer physically attached to the WHS?

Thank you for the link to the data recovery info, I will use that to try to get my files back.

Michael
    Michael
    • Marked as answer by mrazey Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:29 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Hi Michael,

assuming my experience continues to be failure upon removal of the attached disk via the console, can I remove the disk via the console when the disk is no longer physically attached to the WHS?

yes. Other than that you could also not remove a totally broken disk, if this would not be possible.
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:17 PM
  • mrazey said:

Assuming my experience continues to be failure upon removal of the attached disk via the console, can I remove the disk via the console when the disk is no longer physically attached to the WHS?

Yes. You should be able to remove the drive if it's physically not connected. This effectively simulates a complete disk failure. You will be warned that you may lose files or backups. At this point you will need to accept the "loss" (you might be able to recover data from the disk in the locations Olaf has pointed out; you should consider the backup database lost if that comes up).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Does something like this warrant trying to send the drive to Seagate for a "warranty claim" (these questions are way off topic, but, you guys are my best resources :)"

Yes, definitely take advantage of the warranty claim.  Contact Seagate, provide your drive info, you'll get an RMA and then you'll have to ship the drivce to them (you'll have to pay for shipping).  Be sure to pack the hard drive carefully, read the instructions for packing because they can reject the claim if the drive arrives in packaging they deem is not good enough (i.e. bubble wrap instead of original box).

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

"failure predicted: true"
    this comes from the SMART error detection of the disk itself. If a certain threshold for some parameters is over the top, a failure is very much to assume (but the console does not examine disks for SMART errors).

Did you apply all Windows Home Server updates after Power Pack 1 to the system? One of those fixed some difficulties removing disks via console.

It will get upset - how it responds, is up to the system - normally a disk should simply been reported as missing.

Again by trying to remove the disk via console.

This FAQ gives you some points where to look for data on your old disk.

Olaf
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:50 PM
  • Olaf, thank you for the reply.

I have the power pack, and the updates were current the last time I checked, I couple months ago, set to auto, I will check that this afternoon.

--

If I remove the disk will the system always report it as "missing"? Can I get rid of this?

---

"How will I resolve the resulting file conflicts if this is the only option?
    Again by trying to remove the disk via console."

---

Thank you for the link to the data recovery info, I will use that to try to get my files back.

Michael
    Michael
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Hi Michael,

assuming my experience continues to be failure upon removal of the attached disk via the console, can I remove the disk via the console when the disk is no longer physically attached to the WHS?

yes. Other than that you could also not remove a totally broken disk, if this would not be possible.
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:17 PM
  • mrazey said:

Yes. You should be able to remove the drive if it's physically not connected. This effectively simulates a complete disk failure. You will be warned that you may lose files or backups. At this point you will need to accept the "loss" (you might be able to recover data from the disk in the locations Olaf has pointed out; you should consider the backup database lost if that comes up).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Thanks guys, at least I know what I am up against.

How should I verify what is wrong with the flaky drive?

Event viewer on the WHS box?
    SMART? How do I access this?
    What should I look for?

Does something like this warrant trying to send the drive to Seagate for a "warranty claim" (these questions are way off topic, but, you guys are my best resources :)"

Michael
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Does something like this warrant trying to send the drive to Seagate for a "warranty claim" (these questions are way off topic, but, you guys are my best resources :)"

Yes, definitely take advantage of the warranty claim.  Contact Seagate, provide your drive info, you'll get an RMA and then you'll have to ship the drivce to them (you'll have to pay for shipping).  Be sure to pack the hard drive carefully, read the instructions for packing because they can reject the claim if the drive arrives in packaging they deem is not good enough (i.e. bubble wrap instead of original box).

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:38 PM
  • I, too, have a failed drive that WHS thinks is "Missing".  The drive does not show up on the console anymore, but I am still getting the "critical error" that the drive has failed.  How do I get rid of this error?  It's really annoying... and my system won't report as "healthy" until it's gone.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:58 AM
  •  
    Spacegazr said:

I, too, have a failed drive that WHS thinks is "Missing".  The drive does not show up on the console anymore, but I am still getting the "critical error" that the drive has failed.  How do I get rid of this error?  It's really annoying... and my system won't report as "healthy" until it's gone.

how do you mean - does not show up in the console?
    If a drive is missing and not listed in the console, disconnect it from the server.
    Check, if all updates to Windows Home Server are applied.
    After that remove the missing drive (given it appears on the storage tab in the console as missing).

The following lines are unsupported, not well tested, dangerous and may cause more issues with the home server (i.e. File conflicts, if the volume still contained data, or a broken backup database, if parts of the backup has been stored on the missing volume). A server recovery may be necessary in worst case.
    Before deleting keys, export them (click the key and select File/Export in regedit), so that you can reimport them, if the outcome was not as expected.
    If that will not work out, you would have to log in to the server desktop and find the corresponding key in the server registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks. The Add In WHS Disk Management may help you to figure out, which GUID is representing the volume, either directly or by exclusion (find the GUID, which is listed in registry, but not shown on a disk). (Double click the disks to see their GUID.)

Delete the corresponding volume in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes.  Below the volume key you find another one of these cryptic keys, which is the GUID of the disk holding the volume (to identify the proper volume).
    After that delete the disk key for that disk.in the registry key mentioned before.

Reboot the server.
    Solve any remaining conflicts, if there are any and check, if you can still open the backups.

Good luck and best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:53 AM