Vicious circle? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I received a new computer at work with XP pro installed. It does not have a Windows sticker on it anywhere and it does not pass the genuine test, saying there is a blockled VLK. I just want to get on with things and be as simple and fast as possible, but the "Get genuine windows now" option comes back with:

"The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP is currently only available to users of known invalid Product Keys for Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home."

What the heck is that about? Either there is a problem or there isn't. I live on a small remote island and can't simply go get a copy of windows, nor is it much of an option to reinstall everything again. How can I just buy the kit and get on with things and let the legal department of the government I work for go after the store?

Dave

Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:21 AM

Answers

• A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:08 PM
  • Daverf1,

It certainly sounds like an identity crisis!

Let's start with the mga diagnostic.......

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Skip Step 2 as you already posted there is no CoA anywhere on the computer itself.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

You noted that you work for a governmental agency.  Would that be the USA govt or another country?  Microsoft sometimes enters into special agreements with governmental agencies, the terms and conditions of which may or may not be the same as for consumer and business customers, so it's hard to predict at this point whether we have a nongenuine situation or not.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:24 PM
  • Daverf,

Good afternoon. Definetly sounds like there is no idenity :-).  Please run the diagnostic and re-post here there results. Also have you talked with the IT staff who deploys the systems for your company? This would be one starting point as well. In turn we will provide guidance from our end. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Thanks for your prompt response. I take care of the machines in our department. The problem is with the vendor that sold this machine recently. They have offered to "fix" the problem, however it may mean "hacking" something, or installing an old version of software which was not specified and paid for. I would rather resolve the issue without their intervention, then pursue the matter with them separately. Here is the diag output:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PY6BX-K24PJ-TWT6M
    Windows Product Key Hash: gBNdtaXuo+0yYWQ2vJRYtwUVPx0=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-643-7213323-23779
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.xpn
    ID: {18FE7E60-C298-4250-A8C2-F4D68F7D6CC3}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.1
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: H:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{18FE7E60-C298-4250-A8C2-F4D68F7D6CC3}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.xpn</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-TWT6M</PKey><PID>76487-643-7213323-23779</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1343024091-2052111302-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0303</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050923000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7EB5380F0184B766</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Samoa Standard Time(GMT-11:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Dave

Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Dave,

What software version was outlined when you provided the hardware and software requirements for the company? Next did you receive the exact services outlined within the bill of sale? Right now you have a difficult situation which will be outlined below. There could be additional cost of $149 for each machine that reports non-genuine. MS has a program where you may order a WGA Kit to resole situations which you are currently in. First I would do my best and work directly with the company who provided the computers to your company. Print a copy of the diag results and show them the non-genuine status.   

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with Windows XP

Professional and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install the operating system is a

Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an

Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL

editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and versions of MS Office are Upgrade

licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you may be seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of Windows

XP Pro is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to

alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available

to you for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details

or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take. You may purchase the WGA Kits for each system which will cost $149 each. 

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system

and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them

proof for the blocked PID status. Demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid

for. Curious was your computer turned in for repairs/upgrades and was the hard drive reformatted?   In any case, please uninstall

the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk

because a clean installation or reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting

if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Hi Stephen

Again, thanks for your response.

The system was supposed to have XP PRO. When the machine showed up it had no Windows sticker anywhere on it, nor OS CD's. The vendor did send someone to look at the machine when I complained that it was not genuine. I don't want to go around and around with these guys, and loose days of work to a reformat if I can help it. I understand there is a $149 get genuine kit. How can I attain this to resolve this issue, then show the vendor the reciept and document the whole matter. As I stated in my original post, when I choose to resolve the issue by purchasing the get genuine kit, I am refused. Why is that? I can't even look at any of the other options that are supposed to be offered. I can't trust the vendor not to hack something and cause problems down the road. Can't I just pay Microsoft to fix the problem as fast as possible, then let the vendor know in no uncertain terms that they need to be very careful about their suppliers. My main thing is not having a machine that's down for days, and niether I nor Microsoft want hacked or pirated software being sold.

Dave

Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Daverf1,

The current installation of XP Pro was done with a Volume Licensing Product Key that is probably the most widely reported Blocked PK in this WGA forum.  If you search on PY6BX-K24PJ-TWT6M you'll get over 50 hits, most of which are original postings of mgadiag reports.

It may take some research on Stephen of MS's part to verify, but upon a third look at your report (excerpt below) I noticed that your supplier installed an "N" edition of XP Pro, something that we normally don't see in the USA.  As I understand it, an "N" edition was made for the European Union market to comply with a trade ruling that required Microsoft to unbundle certain components from XP, such as Windows Media Player.  Have a look at this link for more info:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Windows_XP_Edition_N

[Normally we would see .pro for Professional, .hom for Home Edition, .med for Media Center Edition, etc.

The WGA ordering system must be set up so that you can only order the exact replacement of the nongenuine operating system that is installed on the computer at the time the ordering screens are being displayed.  If that's so, then if Microsoft does not offer an "N" edition of the WGA kit, that must be why the ordering system is refusing to take your order, because your computer is running an "N" edition and they don't have an "N" WGA kit.  Again, this is a reasonable guess that the Microsoft staffers will be able to research and confirm or correct.

Looking ahead to remedying your situation, my next thought is whether the Product Key Updater Utility will be able to work with XP-N.  My guess is that it will not, but only the Microsoft staffers will be able to give you the true answer.

Assuming that's the stumbling block, the next question is, "What should you do next?"  Here are some ideas:

1.  Purchase a full retail license for XP Pro from another supplier (local store, online retailer, etc etc) backup and offload data, and then do a clean installation.

OR

1a.  Purchase a full retail license kit for XP Pro from another supplier (local store, online retailer, etc etc) backup and offload data, and then attempt to use the Product Key Updater utility to "genuine-ize" the installation of XP Pro.  As I noted above, there is a question (in my mind, at least) about whether the Updater will be able to work with XP-N.

2.  Do the same as #1 and #1a only with a systembuilder/OEM license kit for XP Pro.

3.  Return the computer to the systembuilder and have them remove the copy of XP-N and replace it with what should have been on the computer in the first place, a systembuilder/OEM license for XP Pro, "not N."  Place the onus on them to reinstall any installed programs and backup data from the XP-N installation and restore it to the genuine XP "not N" installation.

Please post back and let us know what you decide to do and how it's progressing!

Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:20 PM
  • Hi Dan,

What you have assessed would seem logical enough. I am not in Europe but I'm not in the US either. I am however in a small American territory in the South Pacific. We get a lot of questionable imports here, and sometimes the vendors aren't that on top of what's really proper much less legal. I'm trying to document as much of this as possible so as to try and bring things more in line here. (I am with the government.) Thanks for the help in tracking this thing down as I'm not really experienced with such problems. I'm sure the vendor will be very interested in what they have been selling. I could only personally wish that there was an easier resolution for an end user who bought into this mess. Having already paid for something once and then being "punished" and having to take up the issue with the vendor is not always the best thing to have to do for everyone. However now I have something more to go on than just "You sold me bad Windows, fix it." I can emphasize what went wrong and that they need to CORRECTLY fix it!

Dave  

Friday, July 20, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Dave,

Dan is spot on. We don't see this in the US.  Also I would like to share a Knowledge Base (KB) article which will build upon what Dan has already provided:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886540. Dave how many systems are non-genuine @ your company? Unfortunately you won't be able to take part in the WGA Kit but there are other options available. Dan gave some good ideas. Here are others. If you need multiple licensing please look here:    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx.  Also you may look @ http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/. Marketplace will afford you the opportunity to purchase individual or more than one copy required.

Dave I would definetly explain and show the company what has taken place. The software you have is non-genuine. Request your money returned for the software.  Also did they charge you for the installation of the software? You have the option for submitting a piracy report against the company where you made the purchases.  Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim to assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices. Hope the information we provided will help you. Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, July 20, 2007 1:10 AM
  • Thank you Stephen and Dan as well!

I must admit I was quite ignorant of the piracy problem and have never personally been face to face with it until now. It never even occurred to me to seach online for a product key, and upon doing so I discovered some very interesting things concerning where my illegal copy of Windows likely propagated from.

The system that was purchased is as follows:

ASUS "bare bones" "terminator" mini tower

AMD 3.2 Ghz Processor

120 Gig HD

Lightscribe DVD drive

56K modem

Ethernet / 7 in 1 card reader

FM Radio module

Windows XP Pro w/ SP2

Keyboard

Mouse

$1329.00

Shipping containers indicate an export from China to Illinois and an export to the vendor here. I suspect the system was built in the US via a small Asian distributor and exported to outlying / remote areas where significant mark up could be imposed. The operating system was "free" to download from a site like this: http://hotdownloads.iblog.com/post/219532/354955 where I found the exact match to what's on the machine.

At this time I am not certain as to how many illegal systems are in use in our government. I do know that most of the newer ones in my department are fine as they are brand name builds and have been validated and are up to date. (We don't have an organization wide IT department, so each department is left to its own problems.) I would be likely to say (guess) there are probably around 20% of the machines that aren't valid and need dealing with. I think some education is in order here, but that's easier said than done. PC's only started being used to any great deal only around six years ago, and DSL and wireless Internet just happened last year. That said I am going to be looking into all this further, and will certainly be informing vendors that it is a really really dumb idea to sell illegal copies of software to customers, much less the government, in order to sqeak in a little extra profit!

I will be reviewing my options. Thanks for the tips and the help.

Dave

Friday, July 20, 2007 2:06 AM
  • Dave,

You are welcome. We are all here to help. Hopefully the information provided will get you started toward a right direction. Keep in mind Volume Licensing was set up for particular situations such as yours. Please review that link I provided. Having 20% of other machines possibly being non-genuine will cause problems sooner or later.  Let us know if you need further assistance.

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, July 20, 2007 7:23 PM

All replies

• A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:08 PM
  • Daverf1,

It certainly sounds like an identity crisis!

Let's start with the mga diagnostic.......

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Skip Step 2 as you already posted there is no CoA anywhere on the computer itself.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

You noted that you work for a governmental agency.  Would that be the USA govt or another country?  Microsoft sometimes enters into special agreements with governmental agencies, the terms and conditions of which may or may not be the same as for consumer and business customers, so it's hard to predict at this point whether we have a nongenuine situation or not.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:24 PM
  • Daverf,

Good afternoon. Definetly sounds like there is no idenity :-).  Please run the diagnostic and re-post here there results. Also have you talked with the IT staff who deploys the systems for your company? This would be one starting point as well. In turn we will provide guidance from our end. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Thanks for your prompt response. I take care of the machines in our department. The problem is with the vendor that sold this machine recently. They have offered to "fix" the problem, however it may mean "hacking" something, or installing an old version of software which was not specified and paid for. I would rather resolve the issue without their intervention, then pursue the matter with them separately. Here is the diag output:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PY6BX-K24PJ-TWT6M
    Windows Product Key Hash: gBNdtaXuo+0yYWQ2vJRYtwUVPx0=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-643-7213323-23779
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {18FE7E60-C298-4250-A8C2-F4D68F7D6CC3}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.1
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: H:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{18FE7E60-C298-4250-A8C2-F4D68F7D6CC3}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.xpn</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-TWT6M</PKey><PID>76487-643-7213323-23779</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1343024091-2052111302-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0303</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050923000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7EB5380F0184B766</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Samoa Standard Time(GMT-11:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Dave

Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Dave,

What software version was outlined when you provided the hardware and software requirements for the company? Next did you receive the exact services outlined within the bill of sale? Right now you have a difficult situation which will be outlined below. There could be additional cost of $149 for each machine that reports non-genuine. MS has a program where you may order a WGA Kit to resole situations which you are currently in. First I would do my best and work directly with the company who provided the computers to your company. Print a copy of the diag results and show them the non-genuine status.   

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with Windows XP

Professional and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install the operating system is a

Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an

Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL

editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and versions of MS Office are Upgrade

licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you may be seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of Windows

XP Pro is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to

alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available

to you for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details

or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take. You may purchase the WGA Kits for each system which will cost $149 each. 

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system

and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them

proof for the blocked PID status. Demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid

for. Curious was your computer turned in for repairs/upgrades and was the hard drive reformatted?   In any case, please uninstall

the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk

because a clean installation or reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting

if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Hi Stephen

Again, thanks for your response.

The system was supposed to have XP PRO. When the machine showed up it had no Windows sticker anywhere on it, nor OS CD's. The vendor did send someone to look at the machine when I complained that it was not genuine. I don't want to go around and around with these guys, and loose days of work to a reformat if I can help it. I understand there is a $149 get genuine kit. How can I attain this to resolve this issue, then show the vendor the reciept and document the whole matter. As I stated in my original post, when I choose to resolve the issue by purchasing the get genuine kit, I am refused. Why is that? I can't even look at any of the other options that are supposed to be offered. I can't trust the vendor not to hack something and cause problems down the road. Can't I just pay Microsoft to fix the problem as fast as possible, then let the vendor know in no uncertain terms that they need to be very careful about their suppliers. My main thing is not having a machine that's down for days, and niether I nor Microsoft want hacked or pirated software being sold.

Dave

Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Daverf1,

The current installation of XP Pro was done with a Volume Licensing Product Key that is probably the most widely reported Blocked PK in this WGA forum.  If you search on PY6BX-K24PJ-TWT6M you'll get over 50 hits, most of which are original postings of mgadiag reports.

It may take some research on Stephen of MS's part to verify, but upon a third look at your report (excerpt below) I noticed that your supplier installed an "N" edition of XP Pro, something that we normally don't see in the USA.  As I understand it, an "N" edition was made for the European Union market to comply with a trade ruling that required Microsoft to unbundle certain components from XP, such as Windows Media Player.  Have a look at this link for more info:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Windows_XP_Edition_N

[Normally we would see .pro for Professional, .hom for Home Edition, .med for Media Center Edition, etc.

The WGA ordering system must be set up so that you can only order the exact replacement of the nongenuine operating system that is installed on the computer at the time the ordering screens are being displayed.  If that's so, then if Microsoft does not offer an "N" edition of the WGA kit, that must be why the ordering system is refusing to take your order, because your computer is running an "N" edition and they don't have an "N" WGA kit.  Again, this is a reasonable guess that the Microsoft staffers will be able to research and confirm or correct.

Looking ahead to remedying your situation, my next thought is whether the Product Key Updater Utility will be able to work with XP-N.  My guess is that it will not, but only the Microsoft staffers will be able to give you the true answer.

Assuming that's the stumbling block, the next question is, "What should you do next?"  Here are some ideas:

1.  Purchase a full retail license for XP Pro from another supplier (local store, online retailer, etc etc) backup and offload data, and then do a clean installation.

OR

1a.  Purchase a full retail license kit for XP Pro from another supplier (local store, online retailer, etc etc) backup and offload data, and then attempt to use the Product Key Updater utility to "genuine-ize" the installation of XP Pro.  As I noted above, there is a question (in my mind, at least) about whether the Updater will be able to work with XP-N.

2.  Do the same as #1 and #1a only with a systembuilder/OEM license kit for XP Pro.

3.  Return the computer to the systembuilder and have them remove the copy of XP-N and replace it with what should have been on the computer in the first place, a systembuilder/OEM license for XP Pro, "not N."  Place the onus on them to reinstall any installed programs and backup data from the XP-N installation and restore it to the genuine XP "not N" installation.

Please post back and let us know what you decide to do and how it's progressing!

Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:20 PM
  • Hi Dan,

What you have assessed would seem logical enough. I am not in Europe but I'm not in the US either. I am however in a small American territory in the South Pacific. We get a lot of questionable imports here, and sometimes the vendors aren't that on top of what's really proper much less legal. I'm trying to document as much of this as possible so as to try and bring things more in line here. (I am with the government.) Thanks for the help in tracking this thing down as I'm not really experienced with such problems. I'm sure the vendor will be very interested in what they have been selling. I could only personally wish that there was an easier resolution for an end user who bought into this mess. Having already paid for something once and then being "punished" and having to take up the issue with the vendor is not always the best thing to have to do for everyone. However now I have something more to go on than just "You sold me bad Windows, fix it." I can emphasize what went wrong and that they need to CORRECTLY fix it!

Dave  

Friday, July 20, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Dave,

Dan is spot on. We don't see this in the US.  Also I would like to share a Knowledge Base (KB) article which will build upon what Dan has already provided:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886540. Dave how many systems are non-genuine @ your company? Unfortunately you won't be able to take part in the WGA Kit but there are other options available. Dan gave some good ideas. Here are others. If you need multiple licensing please look here:    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx.  Also you may look @ http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/. Marketplace will afford you the opportunity to purchase individual or more than one copy required.

Dave I would definetly explain and show the company what has taken place. The software you have is non-genuine. Request your money returned for the software.  Also did they charge you for the installation of the software? You have the option for submitting a piracy report against the company where you made the purchases.  Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim to assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices. Hope the information we provided will help you. Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, July 20, 2007 1:10 AM
  • Thank you Stephen and Dan as well!

I must admit I was quite ignorant of the piracy problem and have never personally been face to face with it until now. It never even occurred to me to seach online for a product key, and upon doing so I discovered some very interesting things concerning where my illegal copy of Windows likely propagated from.

The system that was purchased is as follows:

ASUS "bare bones" "terminator" mini tower

AMD 3.2 Ghz Processor

120 Gig HD

Lightscribe DVD drive

56K modem

Ethernet / 7 in 1 card reader

FM Radio module

Windows XP Pro w/ SP2

Keyboard

Mouse

$1329.00

Shipping containers indicate an export from China to Illinois and an export to the vendor here. I suspect the system was built in the US via a small Asian distributor and exported to outlying / remote areas where significant mark up could be imposed. The operating system was "free" to download from a site like this: http://hotdownloads.iblog.com/post/219532/354955 where I found the exact match to what's on the machine.

At this time I am not certain as to how many illegal systems are in use in our government. I do know that most of the newer ones in my department are fine as they are brand name builds and have been validated and are up to date. (We don't have an organization wide IT department, so each department is left to its own problems.) I would be likely to say (guess) there are probably around 20% of the machines that aren't valid and need dealing with. I think some education is in order here, but that's easier said than done. PC's only started being used to any great deal only around six years ago, and DSL and wireless Internet just happened last year. That said I am going to be looking into all this further, and will certainly be informing vendors that it is a really really dumb idea to sell illegal copies of software to customers, much less the government, in order to sqeak in a little extra profit!

I will be reviewing my options. Thanks for the tips and the help.

Dave

Friday, July 20, 2007 2:06 AM
  • Dave,

You are welcome. We are all here to help. Hopefully the information provided will get you started toward a right direction. Keep in mind Volume Licensing was set up for particular situations such as yours. Please review that link I provided. Having 20% of other machines possibly being non-genuine will cause problems sooner or later.  Let us know if you need further assistance.

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, July 20, 2007 7:23 PM