Outlook, Accounts and Contacts - How do I ... ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I would like to ask for some advice. I have a number of contacts that work for an org. So for Company A there are 4 people associated.

All these are right now in Outlook

If I click on Track in CRM it converts it successfully into a CRM/Outlook contact and lists it correctly in the Contacts section of the CRM.

What I would like is if the main account information could be created at the same time... so in other words, I choose the primary contact and link it as an Account. Then I can link other contacts to the Account.

In Maximizer for instance you can send a contact from Outlook to Maximizer as an Account, Contact (or individual) within an existing Account.

IS there an easy way of doing this without entering each company as an Account and then linking contacts to it?

Jay
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Jay, sorry but Dynamics CRM doesn't have the feature you're looking for. Outlook doesn't have an Accounts entity -- all you've got is the Company Name field on each contact record, and this could lead to lots of duplicates if CRM just created accounts based on unique company names.

The best thing to do is to export your contacts from Outlook into a spreadsheet. Save two CSV versions of this spreadsheet. One CSV should have the account data, the other the contact data. In the contacts CSV file, ensure the Parent Customer field contains the contact company name exactly. Use the CRM Import Wizard to import the accounts and then the contacts.

Tracking contacts from Outlook to CRM is not a great feature. As you've discovered, it can't deal with accounts. It also skips all the validation you might have configured in CRM (required fields, custom data validation scripts, etc.), so it's a quick way to end up with garbage in CRM.

Neil
    • Marked as answer by Jay.at.Teqdis Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Jay, sorry but Dynamics CRM doesn't have the feature you're looking for. Outlook doesn't have an Accounts entity -- all you've got is the Company Name field on each contact record, and this could lead to lots of duplicates if CRM just created accounts based on unique company names.

The best thing to do is to export your contacts from Outlook into a spreadsheet. Save two CSV versions of this spreadsheet. One CSV should have the account data, the other the contact data. In the contacts CSV file, ensure the Parent Customer field contains the contact company name exactly. Use the CRM Import Wizard to import the accounts and then the contacts.

Tracking contacts from Outlook to CRM is not a great feature. As you've discovered, it can't deal with accounts. It also skips all the validation you might have configured in CRM (required fields, custom data validation scripts, etc.), so it's a quick way to end up with garbage in CRM.

Neil
    • Marked as answer by Jay.at.Teqdis Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Thanks Neil... I will do as you suggest.

Perhaps MS should look at having a tighter link between the two apps.

Also may be room for a third party to bring an add in that does this.

Jay
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:37 PM