HOWTO: Add drivers to WHS during setup RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here are instructions for adding drivers to WHS during the install.

• On the root of a USB flash drive create the directory "Drivers"
    • Put each of your drivers in a subdirectory of "Drivers"
    • Start the install with the USB drive plugged in

During the PE phase, setup will copy the entire "Drivers" directory to "c:\user_drivers" and "c:\$oem$\drivers"

During the Win 2003 GUI setup phase, setup will search in "c:\$oem$\drivers" and 1 level of subdirectories for driver files. (<USBKEY>:\Drivers\Intel_Chipset\ will work but <USBKEY>:\Drives\Intel\Chipset\ will not work)

I'm not sure how this procedure works with mass storage drivers because none of my PCs require them.

Monday, August 27, 2007 4:54 PM

All replies

• Thanks for this tip.

I'm having trouble with mass storage drivers and the AMD 690 chipset(see my post today), so I'm going to look into this and I'll report back.

One issue was that _without_ the format you mention, on the 690 mobo I had with only 2 SATA devices (1 hdd, 1 dvd-rw) and one USB drive (& NO floppy) the WHS installer insisted on looking for A:\ for drivers the one time I got it to look for additional drivers.

If anyone else has a guide on how to slipstream the drivers onto a re-built CD image (even if they don't get put into the WIM image, just where WHS install will look for them, I'm looking for that kind of info too (although I haven't done my google homework yet).

Thanks
    Monday, August 27, 2007 7:28 PM
  •  SpeedNut wrote:
    Thanks for this tip.

If anyone else has a guide on how to slipstream the drivers onto a re-built CD image (even if they don't get put into the WIM image, just where WHS install will look for them, I'm looking for that kind of info too (although I haven't done my google homework yet).

<DVD>:\Files\Drivers

These get copied to C:\Drivers. As with the USB drive you are limited to 1 additional level of subdirectories.

This only helps if you can get to GUI mode without additional drivers. otherwise you will have to edit txtsetup.sif.

Monday, August 27, 2007 11:31 PM