Limits of the SDK Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to develop around Ms project 2010 but before i start I want to know the limits of the SDK Project.

Greetings,

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• What do you mean by the SDK Project? The Project SDK is the place to go for a starting point to program Project Server using the PSI.

So what programming do you want to do?
      Project VBA on Project Pro or Standard?
      .Net programming to create Project add-ins?
      .Net programming to use the PSI to interface to Project Server?

Maybe a clue or two about what you want to achieve will help us give you an answer!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:06 AM
  • Here is a great article titled 'what the psi does and doesn't do'.  Good luck.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee767706.aspx

• Marked as answer by Sami CHNITER Wednesday, May 2, 2012 9:06 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:33 AM
  • Agree with Rod. SDK is software development kit having samples to develop on project server & project. Once you download the project SDK, You can see the samples. These are just samples so before we deploy on Production, they need to be extended to handle exceptions etc.

Please see the first thread by Jim of Customization forum :
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/thread/ca3019f4-3856-4b03-adeb-bd1e6f79df93

It has a sample code of Project 2010 Add in. You may find that helpful to start the development.

Thanks,

Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:18 AM
  • What do you mean by the SDK Project? The Project SDK is the place to go for a starting point to program Project Server using the PSI.

So what programming do you want to do?
      Project VBA on Project Pro or Standard?
      .Net programming to create Project add-ins?
      .Net programming to use the PSI to interface to Project Server?

Maybe a clue or two about what you want to achieve will help us give you an answer!

Rod Gill

Thank you all !

I want to do  .Net programming to create Project add-ins and  to use the PSI to interface to Project Server .

Before starting programming my project, i want to know what i can do with the project SDK and what i can't do with it ?

Thanks

chniter sami

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:15 PM
  • Yeah, I think you see SDK as a toolkit or development environment: it isn't. The SDK is a set of documentation and samples to provide most of the information you need to get started with development. You need to know C# (strongly recommend 2010 for office development so you get optional and named parameters) or VB.Net.

Rod Gill

• Marked as answer by Sami CHNITER Wednesday, May 2, 2012 9:06 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Yeah, I think you see SDK as a toolkit or development environment: it isn't. The SDK is a set of documentation and samples to provide most of the information you need to get started with development. You need to know C# (strongly recommend 2010 for office development so you get optional and named parameters) or VB.Net.

Rod Gill

Thank you very much for your answer.

But I have not yet come to know if there are components of MS Project that I can not handle them with C #.

Cordially.

chniter sami

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 9:19 PM
  • You can control Project with C# as well as with VBA which is almost everything you can do manually.Best approach is to write a VBA macro to do what you want then translate the macro to C# (to VB would obviously be quicker). C#2010 quicker than 2007.

Rod Gill

• Marked as answer by Sami CHNITER Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:10 AM
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 3:46 AM