Using Web Page to Access Files RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to place some files on my web page so that they could be accessed using a URL in IE (i.e. http://xxx.homeserver.com/filename.txt) but when I try this I keep getting the following error page:

You are not authorized to view this page

You do not have permission to view this directory or page due to the access control list (ACL) that is configured for this resource on the Web server.

Please try the following:

• Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page.
    • Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials.

HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to an ACL set on the requested resource.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

• Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 401.
    • Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled About Security, Access Control, and About Custom Error Messages.

I went into the IIS manager and for the web page I am trying to use I see that permissions for the "Internet Guest Account" are set for "read & Execute", "List Folder Contents" and "Read" which seems like it should work so what am I missing?

Thanks,
    George
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:10 PM

Answers

• You set this up through IIS admin on the server. start> control panel> admin tools> IIS manager
    expand till you see default website
    right click >new>virtual directory
    follow the wizard name the v directory files/whatever, point to the folder that has your files, be sure you click browse.

from afar http://howerver you get there/files

<insert>
    Standard disclaimer
    </insert>

Still......
    Grey
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi George,
    besides what you want to do is unsupported, ACLs are usually pointing to the NTFS permissions of the folder, in which the file is stored physically on the disk. So you may need to login locally, open that folder in Windows Explorer and adjust the NTFS permissions.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:16 PM
  • I made some progress by going to the actual files and adding in the "Internet Guest Account" in the security properties of the files. This worked for a ".txt" and a ".doc" file. I had 2 other file types that wouldn't open so I added those extensions as a MIME TYPE and that worked for a file that contained ascii text but not for a binary file. For the files that are binary I get an error message saying that the file isn't found.

I think the web server is trying to open and display the file and I hoping that it would just issue a pop up dialog box asking if the user wanted to save or open the file.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Hi,
    does a right click on the file and selection of Save from the context menu work?
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:41 PM
  • NO, actually I can only successfully right click on the .doc and .txt files. If I try to right click and choose "save as" on the other 2 file type I get a pop up box error message saying that IE can't download the files
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Hi George,
    maybe this blog entry clarifies, what is going on.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:34 PM
  • You set this up through IIS admin on the server. start> control panel> admin tools> IIS manager
    expand till you see default website
    right click >new>virtual directory
    follow the wizard name the v directory files/whatever, point to the folder that has your files, be sure you click browse.

from afar http://howerver you get there/files

<insert>
    Standard disclaimer
    </insert>

Still......
    Grey
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:47 AM