none
Sync the same folder between PC 1 & flash card, and between flash card & PC 2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I've searched the discussions here and haven't found anything that addresses my specific question.

I have a Windows 7 desktop computer (let's call this PC 1) and a Windows XP netbook (let's call this PC 2). Synctoy is currently installed on PC 1. It copies the contents of several folders from PC 1 to a flash card, including my Outlook profile folder that contains my large (500mb-1.5gb) PST files.

I then use the flash card in PC 2 to edit the files on the go, and sync to PC 1 when I return. I also use Outlook on PC 2, which reads directly from the flash card.

However Outlook is very slow on PC 2 because it is reading/writing such large PST files from flash media. (Speed is not an issue with any other, smaller synchronised files, or on PC 1.)

So, I'm thinking it would make sense to install Synctoy on PC 2, then create a folder pair that copies the PST file from the flash drive onto the hard drive of PC 2, and back again when I'm done using PC 2.

Is this possible and advisable, or is it likely to confuse Synctoy (on either PC) due to having two Synctoy*.dat files referring to the same folder on the flash card?

Sorry if any of this is unclear - I've found it quite hard to explain!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:49 PM

Answers

• Yes, it is possible.

It does not matter even on the flash drive the same folder has 2 .dat files. As you have 2 SyncToy instances installed, each one will take care his own .dat file for its syncing.

Just 1 remind, you should carefully handle the logic for these 2 folder pairs ' syncing. Such as for your using scenario, you want to have the .pst file be synced among the 3 of them.

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Sunday, June 13, 2010 2:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by yanini Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:56 PM
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 2:33 AM

All replies

• Yes, it is possible.

It does not matter even on the flash drive the same folder has 2 .dat files. As you have 2 SyncToy instances installed, each one will take care his own .dat file for its syncing.

Just 1 remind, you should carefully handle the logic for these 2 folder pairs ' syncing. Such as for your using scenario, you want to have the .pst file be synced among the 3 of them.

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Sunday, June 13, 2010 2:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by yanini Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:56 PM
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Thank you.

I would have replied sooner but unfortunately I didn't receive a notification from the forum of your response.

A couple of days ago I went ahead and installed Synctoy on PC 2. I was wary of creating two *.dat files in the same folder, so on PC 2 I set Synctoy to operate at the parent folder level but excluded everything apart from the Outlook folder.

This does work fine but obviously if I had seen your post beforehand I would have set it up slightly differently.

Thanks again for your response.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:59 PM