Update to Money Plus ruined my Money 2006 and now I can't open my 20yrs data on Money 2006 RRS feed

• Question

• I have both versions of Money on my Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. I have used Money 2006 for my personal accounting & investment accounts, the Sunset version for my antiques business (which is now closed) and certain other inventory entries. I have used Money since about Version 2.1 and have over 20 years of data on Vs. 2006 which I can't afford to lose.

Tonight I was notified there was an update for Money Plus which I allowed to install. When it finished, I couldn't open the personal version I had been using minutes before, because it required a new password. So I requested a new password, still won't let me in. The screen looks different and has a checkbox to open "without access to all online services". Money 2006 stopped "access to online" in 2009.

It looks like the update was installed on my precious Money 2006...%^$#%^&   How do I get rid of the update and get back to my accounting?????

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:24 AM

Answers

• I'd try doing a system restore on your computer a few day before this "update"
    • Marked as answer by LAS77 Thursday, March 29, 2018 3:07 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2018 8:12 PM
  • I'd like to ask you both if you've used the Archive function in Money. Does one still have access to archived transactions while using the active (more current) Money file? Do you need to have a separate "run" of Money to view those older entries? Are you still able to get reports that include the old data along with the current data (i.e. history of particular accounts) or are you required to run separate reports and join them spreadsheet style? Is there a forum for these "Archive" questions?

I have experimented with Archive, but I have not used it for my ongoing Money file. The simple answer is "don't do it."

Money has operation called Archive. For most users, it does not do what they wish it did.  Those who are looking to make the file appreciably smaller are usually disappointed.

Archive makes a copy of the file being archived, and gives it a
    name with Archive added.  You provide a date to Money when you
    archive.  Money asks which non-investment accounts you want the
    older transaction removed from.  Then Money removes non-investment
    transactions from those accounts that had earlier dates.  It
    adjusts the account Opening Balance to compensate for the removed
    transactions.

There is no way to fully re-integrate the older transactions with the newer
    ones. There is an incomplete way that takes some effort. For most, the best
    thing is to generate reports that cover the date range of interest, but to
    keep all of the data present.

To Archive, click File->Archive, and follow the directions.

• Marked as answer by LAS77 Saturday, January 26, 2019 8:12 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 3:40 AM
  • I agree with Cal;  don't archive;  generate reports that cover the date range of interest to you - keep all your data.

Teabag

Friday, March 30, 2018 8:49 AM

All replies

• Microsoft stopped supporting Money a decade ago.  What kind of update did you install?
    Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:46 PM
  • I would uninstall Money, and then install Money Plus Deluxe. Follow that by the patch described in what is currently the first post in this forum.

If you had a password on your file, I hope you remember your credentials. You will have to   "login off line". Once in, you will remove the credentials and switch to a simple password.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:25 PM
  • I'd try doing a system restore on your computer a few day before this "update"
    • Marked as answer by LAS77 Thursday, March 29, 2018 3:07 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2018 8:12 PM
  • Thank you, Cal and Cruislnfanatic - I have my Money 2006 back!!! Cal's suggestion I remember doing when we did that patch on Money Sunset back in 2015 (before there was a "Patch" to download), but that idea scared me, because I don't know what Money Plus would do  to my data. I chose to do the system restore and it turned out I had a restore point for the day before the "update", so now everything's back to normal and I thank you both, VERY MUCH.

I'd like to ask you both if you've used the Archive function in Money. Does one still have access to archived transactions while using the active (more current) Money file? Do you need to have a separate "run" of Money to view those older entries? Are you still able to get reports that include the old data along with the current data (i.e. history of particular accounts) or are you required to run separate reports and join them spreadsheet style? Is there a forum for these "Archive" questions?

Thanks, again, both of you... LAS77 (Lydia)

Thursday, March 29, 2018 3:06 AM
  • I'd like to ask you both if you've used the Archive function in Money. Does one still have access to archived transactions while using the active (more current) Money file? Do you need to have a separate "run" of Money to view those older entries? Are you still able to get reports that include the old data along with the current data (i.e. history of particular accounts) or are you required to run separate reports and join them spreadsheet style? Is there a forum for these "Archive" questions?

I have experimented with Archive, but I have not used it for my ongoing Money file. The simple answer is "don't do it."

Money has operation called Archive. For most users, it does not do what they wish it did.  Those who are looking to make the file appreciably smaller are usually disappointed.

Archive makes a copy of the file being archived, and gives it a
    name with Archive added.  You provide a date to Money when you
    archive.  Money asks which non-investment accounts you want the
    older transaction removed from.  Then Money removes non-investment
    transactions from those accounts that had earlier dates.  It
    adjusts the account Opening Balance to compensate for the removed
    transactions.

There is no way to fully re-integrate the older transactions with the newer
    ones. There is an incomplete way that takes some effort. For most, the best
    thing is to generate reports that cover the date range of interest, but to
    keep all of the data present.

To Archive, click File->Archive, and follow the directions.

Thursday, March 29, 2018 3:40 AM
  • I agree with Cal;  don't archive;  generate reports that cover the date range of interest to you - keep all your data.

Teabag

Friday, March 30, 2018 8:49 AM