Could use a little help with Health Service using way too much cpu RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running whs2011 since 2012, and it's finnaly getting annoying, I got a copy of server 2012 but I'm a little apprehensive to install it on my home server because I want it to run without needing my attention and keep backups safe for me on a raid5 array, and doing this all with simple programs that are part of the os that dont take mushc to install and setup. I'm getting a whole new array of huge servers for my website and I want to run server 2012 on them so I'm not worried about the migration process. I regularly re-install when backup services stop working, about every 3 months, but I just 're-installed on Monday and it's already giving me problesm, managing the other servers for my site takes to much time.                    

My mainproblem, the health service was stopped after I installed my movies addin, I think , when I restart the health services, I notice that Windows trustedinstaller started and sharedservices.exe both splitting my Pentium g860 cpu usage. I uninstalled all of my addins and installed Windows updates and same problem arises. It is a very clean install just basic vanilla whs

My first question is how can I fix this, just so I am more educated at whs, without 're-installing again. (Short term fix)

Next question I is it a good Idea in the long term to switch to WS2012, because I would like to hang on because of ease of use and mindless backups without tons of third party  programs 

I am a big user of Windows for servers, PCs and much more. I would like to stay in this ecosystem if at all possible, I have freenas running on a really old pc and personally it doesn't suit my needs. (it holds my downloads separately from media files because I wanted a separate server for my downloads, almost don't even need to search the web half the time for software b/c i have it saved, bout 200gb)

I forget my last question but I appreciate any help and advice you can give me, this was my last resort haha.

Thanks

• Edited by vnuge Friday, June 27, 2014 11:21 PM
    Friday, June 27, 2014 1:46 AM

Answers

• Installed Windows Server 2012 Standard with the Essentials Experience role added and then clustered with the rest or my machines. Honestly the best answer by far, I am glad I switched all the same basic functionality from WHS 2011 is there, remote web access, easy domain setup, launchpad, centralized backups and more.

Some problems I had are since this server is not the domain controller I can't add my office 365 subscription, but still no big deal.

I would say if this is your dedicated home server make SURE you download the media pack from Microsoft's website.  

Basically installing win server 2012 solved all my problems with WHS 2011 as much as I enjoyed it. On last thing i guess i could give is that its not nearly as easy to do basic home server functionality, it takes time and tinkering.

Hope this benefits someone in some way.

Vnuge

• Marked as answer by vnuge Friday, July 11, 2014 9:23 PM
    Friday, July 11, 2014 9:23 PM

All replies

• -->My first question is how can I fix this, just so I am more educated at whs, without 're-installing again. (Short term fix)

use Performance Monitor to monitor the status of the server. Track down the CPU usage, and find which process ID causing the problem.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749115.aspx

-->Next question I is it a good Idea in the long term to switch to WS2012, because I would like to hang on because of ease of use and mindless backups without tons of third party  programs

mean install WHS 2011 with WS 2012? you may consider windows server 2012 essentials...

Best,

Howtodo

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:13 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Howtodo. I really appreciate it.

I have tried to get a log and have checked event viewer and windows thinks there is nothing wrong, all services on the machine work as they should and the health service works fine and never stops(I have been monitoring it for about a week now) The only problem is that  SharedServiceHost.exe which Im guessing is the service framework for the HealthAlertSvc to run which is responsible for network and server health alerts obviously. I would like to know if there is a simple fix (without re-installing whs, because it is a pain and i think its dumb to have to re-install so often) that would take care of the problem which is the same as before SharedServiceHost.exe using about 70-92% cpu on what seems to be nothing.

I am deploying WS 2012 standard on about 4 other machines this week and it would easy to do the same on (and im pretty much settled on doing so)

this one aswell, so I would like to know if it would give me similar functionality (specifically backups and health services) that it would be worth switching to, to save me headaches.

I know I was very unclear on the post and I hope I explained myself better this time around I will answer with anything else that would be important to helping me to fix whs 2011

• Edited by vnuge Sunday, July 6, 2014 8:56 PM
    Sunday, July 6, 2014 8:54 PM
  • Installed Windows Server 2012 Standard with the Essentials Experience role added and then clustered with the rest or my machines. Honestly the best answer by far, I am glad I switched all the same basic functionality from WHS 2011 is there, remote web access, easy domain setup, launchpad, centralized backups and more.

Some problems I had are since this server is not the domain controller I can't add my office 365 subscription, but still no big deal.

I would say if this is your dedicated home server make SURE you download the media pack from Microsoft's website.  

Basically installing win server 2012 solved all my problems with WHS 2011 as much as I enjoyed it. On last thing i guess i could give is that its not nearly as easy to do basic home server functionality, it takes time and tinkering.

Hope this benefits someone in some way.

Vnuge

• Marked as answer by vnuge Friday, July 11, 2014 9:23 PM
    Friday, July 11, 2014 9:23 PM