Vista Ultimate OEM Validation following motherboard replacement - what is warranty support? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I built my PC within the last year under a Vista Ultimate OEM license.

It is apparent that my mobo is bust and I need to replace it.

Having read threads on this forum, I understand that the OEM license is tied into my mobo, but I'm not sure how.

One example thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/d5ef9b8c-ab5b-44e8-bef2-917e3aaa3177

My plan is as follows:
    • Get an exact replacement mobo from the place I acquired the original as it is under warranty
    • Phone the activation team for an activation code
    Having read some threads I have the following questions that I would like to double-check:
    1. I built the PC myself - I am the System Builder, aren't I?
    2. Who determines whether the PC is under Warranty Support?  Does the activation person I speak to?  Would this be where I explain the situation and argue my case.
    3. I've read about people's activation code that they acquire not working, in spite of their claims that they used the same model and type - why would activation fail if retrieved from the phoen team?
    4. Is there a technical check that the licensing makes on the  replacement mobo - if so, could an exact model and type replacement fail?
    I just want to be sure that activation is going to work, before I go and replace the mobo.

Thanks,

Ali
    Vista Ultimate x64, Q6600, MSI Neo-2 Fr
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 12:16 PM

Answers

• Alergik,

Thank you for posting your concerns with us today. While I can't address all of your questions as some do fall outside our area of expertise but I can say is when you call the activation center let them know your mobo did fail and you need to reactivate Vista. Call the activation center first in order to be sure. 

Take care,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:19 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:19 PM

All replies

• Alergik,

Thank you for posting your concerns with us today. While I can't address all of your questions as some do fall outside our area of expertise but I can say is when you call the activation center let them know your mobo did fail and you need to reactivate Vista. Call the activation center first in order to be sure. 

Take care,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:19 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Stephen.  I appreciate that some of the queries verge on the OEM licensing area, although my prime concern is with activation (hence posting it here).   I will contact the activation centre and see what they say.  I'll post back when I get a response.

Thanks,

Ali
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:58 AM
  • Thank you Alergik.... Let us know what you find out :-). 

Take care and have a SUPER WEEKEND!

Stephen
    Friday, May 22, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Just a quick follow up to the original post:

I just spoke to a customer support rep for the Activation team, and he said the following:

• if the original motherboard has failed, I do not have to get an identical model / replacement.
    • I do have to install the replacement in the same computer (although technically I don't believe you can prove this)
    • re-activation would definitely involve activation over the telephone, and would involve explaining the situation to a CSR (no surprise there, really).
    The first point was a surprise to me, of which I still feel wary, but hey, if the MS CSR said so...

I'll post back when I get round to arraning a replacement mobo.

Regards,

Ali
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:06 PM