cannot replace broken harddrive RRS feed

• Question

• One of the drives on my WHS just broke. It made a ticking sound and wouldn't boot when i started the server. I thought i'd just right click the broken hard drive in the console and hit remove but it said that all the data on the disk would be lost. Doesn't WHS backup itself? Am i screwed or is there an alternate way to do this. I had a lot of images and movieclips that won't open so i really appreciate any help.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 12:41 AM

Answers

• Removing the faulty disk via console will help you to gain access back to your files, if duplication was enabled for the shares.
    If you can still access the disk by any means (attached to another system), you will find your data as outlined in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure. But this only works, if you can overcome the click stage.
    For the future also be aware, that duplication only helps against a single disk failure.
    It does not help against use failure or total loss of the server due to overvoltage, fire, water, theft etc. So using the backup feature for the server to back the contents of shares up to external disks and place them in a safe (eventually offsite) place is strictly recommended.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by JBenjaminsson Monday, December 7, 2009 5:00 PM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:45 PM

All replies

• The files you store in the Windows Home Server shares are protected against the loss of a single drive as long as you have duplication turned on for all shares. If you choose not to turn on duplication for one or more shares, then files in that share are at risk if you experience a hard drive failure.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:47 AM
  • Removing the faulty disk via console will help you to gain access back to your files, if duplication was enabled for the shares.
    If you can still access the disk by any means (attached to another system), you will find your data as outlined in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure. But this only works, if you can overcome the click stage.
    For the future also be aware, that duplication only helps against a single disk failure.
    It does not help against use failure or total loss of the server due to overvoltage, fire, water, theft etc. So using the backup feature for the server to back the contents of shares up to external disks and place them in a safe (eventually offsite) place is strictly recommended.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by JBenjaminsson Monday, December 7, 2009 5:00 PM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Thanks, some folders had duplication (the personal ones) and some not. I read somewhere that putting the disk in a freezer could help you gain access to the hard drive for a little while. It didn't :/
    Monday, December 7, 2009 5:05 PM