Recovery from a Serious Error RRS feed

• Question

• WHS system that I have had built for about 4 years.  The system was rock solid (as it could be for WHS) for that time until my system drive started to go bad.  Instead of trying to replace just the drive I decided to go the route of starting with a bunch a fresh drives to start to ease the older drives from the system.  I had about 25tb of storage of which only 10tb was actually used and 10tb was mirror.   I reinstalled on a set of Raid 1 Raptor drives and everything was fine.  I started moving the data (started with 4 2tb drives)...idea being I was able to slowly move things and not recommit a drive to the pool until I was well into it and verified things were going smoothly.  

I keep getting a serious error which has both not shown itself and has (what I presume) restarted the computer and then shown itself that they system recovered from a serious error.  In both cases upon restart I get ntfs errors every few minutes until I chkdsk.  I don't know what is causing this.  

The error is

BCCode : d1     BCP1 : 000002B0     BCP2 : D0000008     BCP3 : 00000000     
    BCP4 : F7287365     OSVer : 5_2_3790     SP : 2_0     Product : 33073_3 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:59 PM

All replies

• The most common cause of this error is a bad device driver. Make sure you have the right storage drivers installed: they should be for Windows Server 2003 x86 (preferred) or Windows XP x86.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by NYChase Saturday, September 15, 2012 3:23 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by NYChase Friday, September 21, 2012 1:57 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 12:15 AM
  • Thank you for the quick response. 

Given how many TB of data I have to xfer it was much appreciated. 

I checked through my drivers (I have 5 different sata/raid cards) and I was missing the classic ACPI Asus driver (which I found and installed).  Also, where possible I updated the drivers from the old versions (which I had saved from the first installation) to the newest possible versions.  One notable one was an Adaptec RAID card which was the controller for the disk RECEIVING the files at the time.  

I will keep people updated since I hate when people get help and don't post if the solution worked.  

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:00 AM
  • Just to follow-up.  

The problem was indeed a card/driver error.  Not completely sure which is the real culprit but I have been running stable on the oldest available drivers from adaptec.  Then again the card is 9 years old so perhaps I should spend the money and start consolidating sata cards.   What was the most helpful was allowing the stop code to be displayed by not auto-restarting which gives more information than the error code in the system event viewer.  

Thanks again for your help Ken.  

Saturday, September 15, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Ok, so just an extra follow up.  I think that perhaps its a hardware issue at this point but I have had one of two errors since the driver error doesn't show anymore.  The current one is 

BCCode : f4     BCP1 : 00000003     BCP2 : 8823F298     BCP3 : 8823F3FC     
    BCP4 : 8094C07A     OSVer : 5_2_3790     SP : 2_0     Product : 33073_3 

Is this related?  

Is it possible there is a hardware issue that was showing a driver error at first but after the driver was rolled back is harder to pinpoint? 

Thanks for  your help so far Ken!

Friday, September 21, 2012 1:58 PM
  • A 0x000000F4 STOP error is fairly generic, but often indicates some sort of hardware issue. Try reseating all memory and cables (unplug and replug, don't snug them down).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, September 22, 2012 1:51 AM