Live Mesh Folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!
    Acidentaly i delete my live mesh folders folder in documents in win vista. Everything is work ok but i only can enter in that folder by the start menu. How can i put this folder again in my documents?
    Thanks in advance and amsory my bad english.
    Carlos
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:07 PM

Answers

• ok - I think I understand you a bit better now, not sure I can help though :S

I think you are describing something Vista specific that seems to have changed during one of the updates (since I seem to remember things being a bit different). On my Vista like machine (2k8) I can see the "Live Mesh Folders" only when I navigate to my user folder as if it were a user folder, i.e. through the start menu -> my user name. If I navigate to c:\users\<username> I see a similar listing of files just without the "Live Mesh Folders" folder.

I'm going to take as tab in the dark that this is similar to what you're seeing - if you open the directory from c:\users you don't see the folder, but if you click Start (or the Orb in Vista's case) and then click you username (usually top right corner under the logo) you'll get you're "user directory" which will have the folder.

By the way, I've tried deleting the "Live Mesh Folders" folder from there and nothing happens, I imagine (stab no.2!) that Live Mesh (MOE) is hooking into explorer windows that display the user's home directory (as opposed to the raw c:\users\<user> directory) and adding the folder to that list. This also means that it won't show up in most dialogues unless you point it to your user space (I go to documents and then back up one, but have to hit refresh to see anything in the directory).

*phew* long post, I hope something in there makes sense.
    • Proposed as answer by nachmore Saturday, November 29, 2008 2:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Monday, December 1, 2008 4:47 PM
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hey Carlos,

When I installed Live Mesh I never got a "Live Mesh Folders" folder in the "Documents" although I do have the standard ones in my root "Computer" area and the link to it from the Start Menu.

You could create a shortcut (similar to the Start Menu one) in your Documents folder simply by dragging the entry from your start menu to the folder (hold down Ctrl as you move it so that it copies instead of moves, you'll see a small plus (+) symbol) which should restore things for you.

That said, it'll only be a link, which mostly can't be followed by the "Open" or "Save" dialogs, but you can always use the "Look In:" drop down (top of the dialog) to select "Live Mesh Folders". Note that this is only works sporadically (sometimes it will come up empty), I find that clicking on it, then on a normal drive and then back on the entry will usually populate the listing.

If I've totally misunderstood you then please post a little more clarifying information such as what link you are actually accessing from the start menu (if it isn't the standard one in the Live Mesh folder entry) and what the behaviour of the link in "Documents" used to be.

Cheers,

Oren
    • Proposed as answer by nachmore Thursday, November 27, 2008 4:05 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 4:05 AM
  • First, thanks for your reply!

Well I've "live mesh folders" standard one in my root computer but it is the one that i 've XP on it!

The other one (laptop) has Vista! In that one the first time i've installed Live mesh, the folder "Live Mesh Folders" was in C\user. I know that i can create a shortcut to it but i want the standard one folder, do you understand? This is not a problem to me because live mesh is working ok. Is just a way to keep everything like the first time that i've installed the prgram. The start menu one is also a shortcut!

Thanks

Thursday, November 27, 2008 10:55 AM
  • ok - I think I understand you a bit better now, not sure I can help though :S

I think you are describing something Vista specific that seems to have changed during one of the updates (since I seem to remember things being a bit different). On my Vista like machine (2k8) I can see the "Live Mesh Folders" only when I navigate to my user folder as if it were a user folder, i.e. through the start menu -> my user name. If I navigate to c:\users\<username> I see a similar listing of files just without the "Live Mesh Folders" folder.

I'm going to take as tab in the dark that this is similar to what you're seeing - if you open the directory from c:\users you don't see the folder, but if you click Start (or the Orb in Vista's case) and then click you username (usually top right corner under the logo) you'll get you're "user directory" which will have the folder.

By the way, I've tried deleting the "Live Mesh Folders" folder from there and nothing happens, I imagine (stab no.2!) that Live Mesh (MOE) is hooking into explorer windows that display the user's home directory (as opposed to the raw c:\users\<user> directory) and adding the folder to that list. This also means that it won't show up in most dialogues unless you point it to your user space (I go to documents and then back up one, but have to hit refresh to see anything in the directory).

*phew* long post, I hope something in there makes sense.
    • Proposed as answer by nachmore Saturday, November 29, 2008 2:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Monday, December 1, 2008 4:47 PM
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:43 PM
  •  Yes, it makes sense!
    Thanks for your support!
    Regards
    Friday, November 28, 2008 11:39 AM