share transfer from CDN to US exchange RRS feed

• Question

• I transferred a dual listed stock from Canada's TSX to the NYSE. I did the same transaction as transfer out in Money. 

But the average cost and last price per share after I transferred out of my CDN based account into my USD denominated account did not change in Money. The numerical values in my USD account are the same as they were in the CDN $ based account.

If I divide the last price in my USD account by Money's exchange rate I get the correct last price as listed on the NYSE.  

I suppose I could delete the transfer and execute a sell in the CDN $ account, then a new buy in the US account. But this will lead to more problems at tax time.  

Any suggestions? 

Thanks. 

• Edited by TR8195 Tuesday, August 18, 2020 6:09 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2020 5:23 PM

All replies

• You might be best off using the task: More Investing Tasks > Record a special activity > Record a split

This will adjust all of your CDN transactions as expected, and with no tax ramifications.  Add a zero-share note to reflect what you did for future reference though.

• Edited by ameridan Tuesday, August 18, 2020 8:30 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2020 8:20 PM
  • Thanks for your input Ameridan.

Your proposal of a split simply adds more shares in the same account.

My problem is to move all shares of a stock from my CDN currency account to my USD currency account and have the average cost and latest price update in USD. It is updating in CAD. 

Wednesday, August 19, 2020 4:16 AM
  • it looks like I will have to sell the shares at the purchase price, convert the amount to USD and repurchase the same number of shares with those USD regardless of the actual price, then deal with the cap gain/loss when I actually sell.

• Edited by TR8195 Wednesday, August 19, 2020 4:34 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2020 4:28 AM