S&T Show in Bing Maps RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought Streets & Trips 2011. I created a route and clicked Show in Bing Maps. I expected to see my route in Bing Maps as a list of directions, but all it shows me is Bing Maps with a map in Aerial mode roughly centered over the part of the map where my route goes. There is no route or places or anything helpful whatsoever. I don't get what the point of this feature is. Am I missing something?

Running in Windows 7 64-bit. I tried it with both Firefox 5 and IE9.

Sunday, August 7, 2011 2:46 PM

All replies

• As you have discovered, the Bing Maps view has nothing to do with a route you might create in S&T.  It does only one thing: it pulls up the Bing view of the focus of the S&T map currently displayed.  It is useful for getting a satellite photo view or otherwise easily transitioning to the internet for the area of interest. 
    • Proposed as answer by Philip K1 Sunday, August 7, 2011 9:55 PM
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 9:55 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Lame feature IMO. (Sorry for expecting software to do useful things.)
    Monday, August 8, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Hi Markitect -

I agree that seeing the route you've created in S&T (or at least the pushpins you've created in S&T) displayed on the bing map would be a really useful feature.  There are many ways that S&T and Bing could be tied more closely together.  Personally - I think this is a powerful integration opportunity for Microsoft that competitors don't have.

That said - do yourself a favor and don't sell the Bing aerial views short!  EVERY time I'm scheduling a stop at a location where I'm meeting a client - I call up the aerial to ensure I'm going to the correct location.  If 'Birdseye' view is available - most times I can even see which door on the building I need to walk through to make my call.  As Philip K1 points out - Bing returns the aerial at the same zoom as you chose in Streets and Trips. 

When setting up sales calls, my prospect is often impressed when, instead of asking directions to their location - I say something like "You're the two story brick building across from the park - right?.....I see you have parking on the North and East side of the building - which one should I use to be closest to your office?" 

This attention to detail and technical 'expertise' has often helped paint me in positive light with the prospect - before I even step through their door.

Give it a try!

Keith O'Brien
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:45 AM