none
unexpected error while applying a synchronized change RRS feed

• Question

• I repeatedly get this error on my Windows XP system. Synchronizing other folders to the K: drive works fine, but this one fails at the end of the preview phase before actually copying any files or creating any folders.
    SYNC: 05/27/2009 10:20:40:187: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SYNC: 05/27/2009 10:20:40:218: Starting SyncToy, version 2.0.100.0, built 8/12/2008
    2:07:12 PM.
    SYNC: 05/27/2009 10:30:30:062: Started scanning directory : C:\AllDat\
    SYNC: 05/27/2009 10:30:31:078: Started scanning directory : K:\Backups\CAllDatBackup\
    SYNC: 05/27/2009 10:30:31:328: Stopped scanning directory : K:\Backups\CAllDatBackup\
    SYNC: 05/27/2009 10:32:59:968: Stopped scanning directory : C:\AllDat\
    SYNC: 05/27/2009 10:35:27:281: Preview of syncOffsiteCAllDat (C:\AllDat\, K:\Backups\CAllDatBackup\)
    in time 00:04:57:234.
    SyncToy action was 'Synchronize'
    Found 39161 actions to perform.
    Found 0 files that did not require action.

SYNC: 05/27/2009 10:35:28:484: *** Exception during run: {0} :
     System.ArgumentException: The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while
    applying a synchronized change.
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY
    resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup
    sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration
    destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy,
    ISyncProvider destinationProxy, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncProvider
    sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider,
    FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider,
    FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Sync()
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.RunOnePair(SyncEngine syncEngine)
    SYNC: 05/27/2009 10:35:28:500: *** Exception during run: The FileSyncProvider received
    an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:21 PM

Answers

• Thanks! Actually I figured it out this afternoon. I created an empty folder on K: and inadvertently selected the default of Synchronize instead of Echo when I created the folder pair. Running Preview separately from Run did not help, but changing to Echo did the trick.
    • Marked as answer by ronks Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:33 AM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:33 AM

All replies

• I should add that I can sync other folders to the USB external K: drive without problems, so the drive can be written to by SyncToy. I created two folder pairs this morning: one from my C: drive to K: (this is the one that fails), and another from a USB external I: drive to K: which is running happily at the moment. Why I->K runs but not C->K is baffling.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Hi -

Sorry I have never seen this before. Can you try a couple of things to see if it makes a difference?
    1. Change the Synchronize action from Synchronize to Echo?
    2. Hit the Preview Button first and then the Sync button.
    3. It looks like K:\Backups\CAllDatBackup\ is empty to begin with but do ensure that it is empty.
    4. Exclude all subdirectories and then include then one by one in to see if you can figure out which one is causing the problem and if there is anything different about the directory.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    • Marked as answer by ronks Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ronks Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:28 AM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Thanks! Actually I figured it out this afternoon. I created an empty folder on K: and inadvertently selected the default of Synchronize instead of Echo when I created the folder pair. Running Preview separately from Run did not help, but changing to Echo did the trick.
    • Marked as answer by ronks Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:33 AM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:33 AM