Proper way to remove USB harddrives RRS feed

• Question

• In XP, Vista, etc, there is an icon in the sys tray to safety remove hardware, i.e., USB hard drives, flash drives, etc. One can right click on it, and then select the device to remove.

What is the appropriate way to remove a USB hard drive/device in WHS?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 6:39 PM

Answers

• In XP, Vista, etc, there is an icon in the sys tray to safety remove hardware, i.e., USB hard drives, flash drives, etc. One can right click on it, and then select the device to remove.

The only supported way to remove a USB drive is through the Console.  Presumably it would automatically disconnect the drive to safely remove it as well (although I've never actually tried it because of the issues of using a USB drive in the storage pool in the first place).
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:53 PM

All replies

The only supported way to remove a USB drive is through the Console.  Presumably it would automatically disconnect the drive to safely remove it as well (although I've never actually tried it because of the issues of using a USB drive in the storage pool in the first place).
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:53 PM
  • It looks like it's possible to remote in to the desktop, and use the 'safely remove' tray option. Not sure it's supported/recommended, but it's probably better than just unplugging the drive.

Thoughts?
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:01 PM
  • It looks like it's possible to remote in to the desktop, and use the 'safely remove' tray option. Not sure it's supported/recommended, but it's probably better than just unplugging the drive.

Thoughts?

Logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.  Frankly, I wouldn't do it.  If I was going to use a USB drive on my server, I would just remove the drive through the Console, then disconnect it from the server.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 2:12 PM
  • What is the appropriate way to remove a USB hard drive/device in WHS?

Confirming...
    As Kariya suggested, the only supported way to remove an USB drive (server backup or storage pool) is through the console. This will inform WHS to take any actions necessairy for removing the drive from the system before disconnecting it using 'safely remove".

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 7:35 PM
  • Kariya & Theo...perfect...easy to do...and think I'm slowing 'getting it,' that it's not a good idea to mess with the server through remote.

Although the technique of doing what you suggest is implicit in the WHS concept and is clearly provided...I don't always think as literal about it as I should...since I'm coming from a desktop hack approach. Keeping me toeing the line is much appreciated!

Cheers,  Jason
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Kariya & Theo...perfect...easy to do...and think I'm slowing 'getting it,' that it's not a good idea to mess with the server through remote.

Not unless you really know what you're doing (specifically with WHS).  One of the problems I see with some of the posts in this forum is some users think they know more about Windows/computers than they really do (or, in some cases, they might know other OSes well and just assume WHS works the same way, which in some cases it doesn't).  Believe me, I know.  I found that out the hard way during beta a couple years ago.  :)

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that while you can logon to the server desktop, just know that it's unsupported (primarily because there are tools/apps that are part of the underlying Server 2003 OS that could potentially ruin your WHS installation).  However, to be honest, I wouldn't know as much as I do about WHS without looking "behind the curtains" a little bit myself.  :)  The only difference is my looking either A) was done during the WHS beta or B) is now done using a VM (so if I mess something up, I don't lose anything).  My suggestion is if you want it to "just work", leave it alone and let it do its job.  However, if you want to really learn more about the inner workings of the product, feel free to logon to the server desktop, just do it somewhere other than your live production server.

*steps down from soapbox*  :)

Although the technique of doing what you suggest is implicit in the WHS concept and is clearly provided...I don't always think as literal about it as I should...since I'm coming from a desktop hack approach. Keeping me toeing the line is much appreciated!

Cheers,  Jason

Sunday, June 7, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Hey Kariy,

No...soapboxes are fine! :) I love the perspective and understand what you're saying.

Tinkering and tweaking a computer is a lot like being an addict. You know...we've all been there while working on things...it goes like, "When I finish this little tweak, I'll lay off things, and it'll be super cool and be 'just' the way I want things." Isn't it inevitable that things break just about then, and it takes hours and hours of effort to get back to that same spot...only to say enough is enough, and move on to something else.

Great idea...I'll have to look into that VM concept when I have more time. Pretty cool! A great way to explore...and minimize the 'breaking risk.'

Thanks for sharing!

Jason
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:45 PM