none
Oooops or not, re System("START /b a bat file") not working after Creators install RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning Paolo, and thanks for your reply.

The following is a repeat of my question into this forum - done as suggested by you.

Kind regards,  Peter Evans.

Pre::  from earlier post:

Following just installing Windows 10 Creators Update, an app containing a System("START /b  filename.bat") call no longer works.  Is this an MS 'Oooops' in this version, or has the this feature been removed or its function changed.  Is there information available on this?

Thanks in advance,

Pelcaro

Sequel:

I have created a demo app which responds in the same way the larger app I have that provoked this post in the first place.   Details of this demo app are in the PicSnip below.

The failure shown in the Snip with the error message shown 0xc0000142, does not occur with every run.  It is intermittent.

The demo app is written using Emabarcadero's latest C++ compiler.  It sets a timer to fire every 30 secs, and when that fires a 'system("START /b file.bat")' command is issued.  ( This demo command does a dir of c:\ . )  The content of the .bat file is shown top left.  The app code is shown on the right.  The temporarily held run of the .bat is shown mid left, and the empty panel for the app is shown mid right.

The app functions perfectly for many cycles of firing and displaying the dir of c:\ without problem, but occasionally and seemingly without visible reason, there is a failure.  The error panel generated when there is a failure is shown at the bottom.  The error message number can be seen as 0xc0000142 .

Looking at the web for information on error 0xc0000142 was inconclusive (to me), so I hope the above information and PicSnip will help you advise a solution.  If more information is needed, I will try to supply it.  Just a reminder, prior to the Creators Win10 the original app functioned without problem for a long time, firing is .bat command probably many 1000s of times.  On running the app after the update the problem was immediately and intermittently apparent.

Thanks in advance, and with kind regards,

Pelcaro

• Moved by Hart Wang Friday, June 2, 2017 6:37 AM
    Monday, May 29, 2017 11:41 AM

All replies

• 0xC0000142 is DLL_INIT_FAILED

This means that some DLL loaded by your app failed to initialize. 

Does this error occur when you activate something in your app like press a button, or the app will not start at all?

Embarcadero's C++ is obviously not Microsoft's product, no support for it is offered here.

-- pa

• Proposed as answer by Hart Wang Friday, June 2, 2017 6:19 AM
    Monday, May 29, 2017 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

Since the issue is related to third product, I will move the case to off-topic forum.

For the Embarcadero's C++, you could post the issue on their support forum.

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 2, 2017 6:30 AM
  • Good morning Hart,

This is not off topic at all.  It is merely coincidental that the .bat file is embedded in a C++ app created with the Embarcadero compiler.  The essence of this is that technique using the system("...") technique now fails intermittently following a Windows Creator update, whereas prior to the update it did work smoothly.  The issue lies clearly with the Windows change and no where else.  Please restore this to an issue with Windows Update - it's nothing whatsoever to do with Embarcadero.

Thanks in advance,

Pelacaro.

Friday, June 2, 2017 6:52 AM
  • Good afternoon Pelcaro,

>>"  technique now fails intermittently following a Windows Creator update, whereas prior to the update it did work smoothly. "

You mean that Following a windows creator update the specified issue occurs?  If yes, i am not sure that this is a bug. I suggest that you can post the question on connect forum that will handle bug of Microsoft.

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 2, 2017 7:07 AM
  •   Please restore this to an issue with Windows Update 

Pelcaro,  "Windows Update" is the Windows component (and back-end service) that does updates. So this issue is not with WU, it is, as you claim, with Windows itself.  Still it is not convincing. Embarcadero can have their own implementation of the "system" library function. 

Have you considered answering my question above?

Does this error occur when you activate something in your app like press a button, or the app will not start at all?

Regards,

-- pa

Friday, June 2, 2017 10:46 PM