System Freezes on large file transfers RRS feed

• Question

• I have an external storage (8 bays) attached to WHS.  3 of the drives inside are apart of the pool for WHS to use.  The other 3 have movies on them that I am transferring to the pool.  Once that is done, I will add the drive to the pool so that there are 6 total in the pool.  When I transfer the movies over, the system either freezes or reboots.
    Any ideas?

The drives are Seagate 1.5TB 7200, the system is WHS PP2 on a 1TB Seagate drive with a Gigabyte P55M-UD4 with 4GB Ram and an Intel i5-750 chip.  The storage tower is attached with a RaidRocket 2314 (Raid is not enabled).
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:19 PM

Answers

• I have done all that and the system still freezes or reboots.  I'm closing this as I have continued it in another thread titled File Conflicts.
    • Marked as answer by BFry24 Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:27 PM

All replies

• I had a very similar problem with my HP Ex485.  It was resolved when HP replaced the entire chassis (everything but the drives) under warranty.  Others have indicated this type of failure is nearly always defective hardware.  In my case, most of the hardware (other than a USB drive) was contained within the chassis, so it was an easy matter to resolve - time consuming, but easy.  In your case, it could be much more difficult since you are dealing with hardware (cables, drives, controllers, etc.) not so contained and probably not under a single warranty umbrella.  You might be able to isolate the problem if your system box can hold 1 or 2 drives internally.  If so, and you can duplicate the problem without using your external storage, that should isolate it to an internal problem.  If the problem goes away, it should isolate it to the external enclosure, network or system NIC.  Unfortunately, with large movie files this takes a lot of time to do - especially when the system freezes or reboots frequently.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:27 PM
  • I'm suspicious of either a hardware issue, or an issue with drivers for the RocketRaid HBA. Can you move the storage pool drives into your server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:44 PM
  • I have had issues with the transfer of larger files, it seems to only happen when you CUT and PASTE them as opposed to COPY and PASTE from that I thought it was a permissions setting, but all seems ok for me now when I cut and paste
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Still freezes even if I select a few of them to move.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:27 PM
  • Ok, I found a BIOS update for the RaidRocket Card and flashed it.  Now, the system seems to freeze or reboot more frequently.  Getting very frustrating.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:16 PM
  • I'm sorry to say that I think the problem is the RAID HBA or the drivers for it, not Windows Home Server.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Possibly.  I took one of the drives out of the tower and connected it right to the PC.  THat will tell me if it is the RAID HBA or not.  I'll post the result.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Even with the tower drive attached directly to the pc (Internally) the system still froze.  So I am at a loss as to what the issue is.  I have been trying to download PP3, but everytime I try to install it, I get a File Corrupt notice during what seems to be the second part of the installation but that is on another thread.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Have you run any kind of disk check on the drive?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Yes, they come out fine.  They are all brand new.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Ok, this is getting ridiculous.  It shouldn't take days to transfer files.  I looked at my device drivers and found one listed just as a VGA controller.  Upgraded it to the correct driver hoping that would fix things.  Nope, still either freezes or reboots.

Is WHS worth this aggravation?  I updated the video driver and now it has frozen twice right at login.  Granted nVidia did not have a driver for 2003, so I used a 2000 driver.  If that is not correct, then use what?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:12 PM
  • A search here (yes search is fairly broken at the moment, and I'm sure Microsoft is working on it as I type because I complain about it regularly and they always say they are :) but it will still work well enough for this) would show you that the preferred alternative for Windows Server 2003 drivers is Windows XP drivers.

But I still think you have a hardware or driver issue relating to your storage subsystem, not your video card. And as for your video card, I would (honestly) recommend you uninstall the nVidia driver and allow Windows Home Server to use the "in box" VGA driver.

Friday, October 16, 2009 3:15 PM
  • I had this problem in the past (on a desktop PC) and it was related to the hardware.
    At first I suspected the disks/drivers but in the end it was one of the RAM modules that was broke and I assume that it occured when that piece of memory got touched, that it hung.
    Replacing it solved the problem.
    Maybe have a try with this tool from Microsoft: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp You never know...

Good luck with finding your problem!
    Nick
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:44 PM
  • The CPU. motherboard, RAM and HDD's are all brand new.  I took one of the drives out of the tower and installed it directly into the PC.  Still the same issue.  If I select a few folders at a time, the transfer is ok, but if I select more or all, then it freezes or reboots.

How can I check the drivers?  I have run update and everything shows current?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:58 PM
  • It makes no difference if the hardware is new or not, hardware can come from the manufacturers faulty unfortunatley.
    from what you said about the folders if you transfer a few at a time its ok, I would check the RAM first - remove one stick and see if its ok, if it is then try the other and see if thats ok, It could be the way you have them set up or the timings.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:33 AM
  • I have done all that and the system still freezes or reboots.  I'm closing this as I have continued it in another thread titled File Conflicts.
    • Marked as answer by BFry24 Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:27 PM