Installation Question RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to use two disk, initially, a 500 gb and a 1 tb disk.
    I wish to use the 500 gb as my system disk.

Will I get a chance to select this disk during installation while both disks are present, or will the system choose
    the bigger one?

Should I start out with the larger disk unpowered until the system is installed, then add it at a later time?

Thanks.

juergschoe

Monday, June 6, 2011 9:50 PM

Answers

• When using WHS V1 all drives that were connected where formatted and added to the storage pool. With WHS 2011 this is different I have tried the RTM release and found that it asks you to select the drive you want to install it on and that is the only one to be formatted. But if you are worried then unplug the 1tb and make sure the OS installs on the 500gb
    HMG
    • Marked as answer by juergschoe Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:53 AM

All replies

• I plan to use two disk, initially, a 500 gb and a 1 tb disk.
    I wish to use the 500 gb as my system disk.

Will I get a chance to select this disk during installation while both disks are present, or will the system choose
    the bigger one?

Should I start out with the larger disk unpowered until the system is installed, then add it at a later time?

Thanks.

juergschoe

My personal rule when installing a MS Operating System is to only have one physical disk connected.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Monday, June 6, 2011 10:19 PM
  • When using WHS V1 all drives that were connected where formatted and added to the storage pool. With WHS 2011 this is different I have tried the RTM release and found that it asks you to select the drive you want to install it on and that is the only one to be formatted. But if you are worried then unplug the 1tb and make sure the OS installs on the 500gb
    HMG
    • Marked as answer by juergschoe Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Thank you for the prompt answers.
    I will go ahead with both disks being present during installation. There is little risk, as they both are new disks.

I will report back should something unexpected happen.

Thanks, again.

juergschoe

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:01 PM