On-premise questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm looking to implement the on-premise version of Microsoft Dynamics CRM for a client and I have a few questions:

• Is it possible to custom code using the on-premise version?  Can I make API calls/posts or create/update/delete records based on other actions in CRM?  Do I need to purchase Visual Studio and install it on the server?
    • Do I have direct access to the backend database of CRM or do I have to go through the interface to view/modify records? Will I need to purchase a separate license of SQL Server to install it on the server?
    • What functional differences exist between the on-premise and the hosted versions?  Is it possible to access the CRM from the web or remotely when using the on-premise version?

Thanks in advance!

Sunday, July 24, 2016 8:34 PM

All replies

• Greetings hotblooded12,

Below are my responses to your inquiries:

1. Absolutely. CRM is a robust system that allows easy customization without even coding. With that being said, there is a great SDK for CRM to allow users to create custom plugins from the CRM API and other tools (Visual Studio is recommended when doing this level of customization). Ideally, you should try not to code, but rather, look for pre-made solutions that can be installed into the system. IMPORTANT: before any coding is done, always make sure you know what the application can do before making customization, as the application may already have that functionality, why re-code what you already paid for. As well...if you plan to make many customization, it can make it very difficult for you to upgrade to newer versions of CRM (this is a general principle with any customization application).
    2. Absolutely. When installing CRM on-prem, you have to install SQL as well as the Application. Ideally, you should not edit the data in SQL, however, you still have access to it and of course can run SQL statements. As for cost, you will have to purchase the licenses.
    3. The biggest difference between On-prem vs Online (for me) is updates! On-line; Microsoft manages your CRM updates. On-prem; you have to manage them. From personal experience...if you plan to write custom code, it can be very very difficult to upgrade CRM to new versions. With that being said, it is always best practice to ensure any customization are SUPPORTED by microsoft. Here is a link for more feature differences: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics/crm-customer-center/crm-2016-online-vs-on-premises-features-faq.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Thursday, August 4, 2016 5:02 PM