Upgraing CRM 4.0 environment to x64 OS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking for information/documentation on upgrading the host operating systems for a Microsoft CRM 4.0 environment from x86 to x64. The implementation is comprised of one app server (Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition) and one DB server (Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition) with SQL Server 2005. The environment is heavily customized in terms of entities, fields, and workflows while supporting ~300 concurrent users. The CRM environment is also extensively integrated with other internal systems via Scribe. We have CRM end-users in regional offices across the US as well as in multiple international offices.  We would like to upgrade the servers (both already virtualized) to Windows Server 2008 and the SQL Server to SQL 2008. These upgrades are part of a larger initiative intended to combat increasing end-user slowness in CRM via network enhancements, etc. Our questions are as follows:

·         Do any white papers exist comparing CRM 4.0 performance between x64 and x86 implementations? Anecdotally, does anyone have experience with the performance gains possible from this upgrade?

·         Is there an implementation guide for this upgrade path? The closest I’ve found is the CRM 3.0 to 4.0 path documented in the official Microsoft Dynamics CRM Installing Guide.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 7:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Preid11,

- We have migrated most of our clients to Windows Server 2008 x64 and we saw a big difference but it's hard to say its related to the x64 OS rathen hardware and new fresh OS. I think that you don't have choice and x64 is just now a standard (and support more memory !!!)

- Upgrade is straight forward. Install CRM, move databases and import CRM organization. No need to upgrade code (it may be required new 64bit SDK dll's).

KG

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:01 PM