SyncToy 2.0 will not complete Preview or Run RRS feed

• Question

• I am running XP Pro, SP2 and SyncToy 2.0.100.0, Built 8/12/2008 3:07:12pm

While trying to sync two folders (actually any two) over my LAN - between Laptop & Desktop) I get following error:

<!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]--> <!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->"Exception during preview: Failed to detect changes."  Incidently, the Help file does not have anything re this error message.

The package never worked.  The same results every time I use it and with every folder pair.  I have re-installed it multiple times to no avail.

Log shows following:

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChanges.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Preview()
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 01/25/2009 15:36:53:203: *** Exception during preview: Failed to detect changes.
    SYNC: 01/25/2009 15:57:45:343: Started scanning directory : G:\DIGITAL IMAGES\
    SYNC: 01/25/2009 15:57:45:343: Started scanning directory : \\Fowler_laptop\c\Data\Graphics\
    SYNC: 01/25/2009 15:57:53:562: Stopped scanning directory : G:\DIGITAL IMAGES\
    SYNC: 01/25/2009 15:57:53:578: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
     Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncException: Failed to detect changes. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007003A): The FileSyncProvider failed while detecting changes.
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.Interop.FileSyncProviderClass.DetectChanges()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.DetectChanges()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.DetectChanges()
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChangesOnProvider(FileSyncProvider syncProvider, String replicaRootPath)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Is this just amother example of MS incompatibility?
    Monday, January 26, 2009 12:12 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. To help resolve your issue, can you tell us a bit more please:

- are you able to sync two folders which are on the same machine - when there's no LAN connection involved ? If so, we can atleast be sure that SyncToy installation is ok.

If SyncToy is working fine as per above:

From your info above, seems like you are syncing between "G:\DIGITAL IMAGES" and "\\Fowler_laptop\c\Data\Graphics\"  Assuming here that "G:\DIGITAL IMAGES" sits on your desktop from where you are running SyncToy. One way forward could be that you can "map" your laptop's C:\ drive (or any folder therein) on your desktop. (To do so, open windows explorer and choose "Map Network Drive" from Tools menu.).

Say this maps the "\Fowler_laptop\c" on your desktop as Z:\ drive.

You can then "Z:\Data\Graphics" as your other folder in the folder pair and try syncing again.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Sameer

Monday, January 26, 2009 5:17 AM