Expand WHS Beyond One Machine RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have a WHS server with 14 - 500GB Hard Drives.  I am using all 6 of the SATA Ports on my motherboard as well as two of the Promise SATA cards which each have 4 ports on them.  I am using 3 "5x3.5" backplanes so my Antec tower is FULL!!!!!!   Here is my question......is it possible to set up another tower with additional hard drives to extend the storage of my WHS?  If I wanted to add another 10-14 hard drives, how would you all recommend doing this?  What would the hardware and connections look like?  How would you connect the second storage device to the current WHS?  I believe that I do have 2 PCI slots available if that helps any.  Thanks!

Ruby
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:31 PM

Answers

• The kind of external array you're talking about is not, in general, going to be supported by Windows Home Server. That size of disk array is generally going to be a SAN device...

My suggestion would be to go through and replace your current 500 GB drives with 1.5 or 2 TB drives. You'll be able to reduce the number of drives you have (saving some power and producing less heat) and expand your storage by 3x-4x.

Next best would be to connect one or more external multi-drive enclosures. You'll be looking for enclosures that support SATA port multiplier technology (thinner cables) or multilane SATA (slightly better performance) and matching controllers. There are a lot of 4-5 disk external enclosures to choose from; I have no specific recommendations as to brand or model.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:57 PM

All replies

• The kind of external array you're talking about is not, in general, going to be supported by Windows Home Server. That size of disk array is generally going to be a SAN device...

My suggestion would be to go through and replace your current 500 GB drives with 1.5 or 2 TB drives. You'll be able to reduce the number of drives you have (saving some power and producing less heat) and expand your storage by 3x-4x.

Next best would be to connect one or more external multi-drive enclosures. You'll be looking for enclosures that support SATA port multiplier technology (thinner cables) or multilane SATA (slightly better performance) and matching controllers. There are a lot of 4-5 disk external enclosures to choose from; I have no specific recommendations as to brand or model.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Thanks Ken for the quick response.  If I went with a SATA multiplier card and a 4-bay SATA enclosure, would WHS see them as 4 separate drives?  Or one pooled drive like with RAID.  I assume as separate drives, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
    Friday, June 5, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Thanks Ken for the quick response.  If I went with a SATA multiplier card and a 4-bay SATA enclosure, would WHS see them as 4 separate drives?  Or one pooled drive like with RAID.  I assume as separate drives, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

That would depend on how the enclosure presented the drives to the server.  However, please note that all types of RAID are unsupported on WHS.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 10:51 PM
  • There a quite a few eSata enclosure appearing, here's one example supplied with a sata card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111051
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:16 PM