none
Spotlight Deadlock trace RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a lots of session running under spotlight deadlock trace and consume good amount of CPU. I have set the deadlock list setting to off from Spotlight->Configure->Scheduling->Deadlock List. But, it seems like the trace is still running. How can i set this off?

Monday, October 2, 2017 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I have found a lot of exceptions like “Exception            Lock request time out period exceeded.”  right before the execution of the following statement:

SP:StmtCompleted       select @tempint = cast(substring(@pbinin, @i + @startoffset, 1) as int)

Spotlight Diagnostic Server (Monitoring 2)                    sa        0          0          0          0            3916     59        2017-09-05 11:50:57.757           2017-09-05 11:50:57.757                       1          master  3455314            SRVFILES                    0X01                0          SRV-TR            sa        979450413                                           1            3162     -403477184                                          0                      1                                                         1          50            5          3012     fn_varbintohexsubstring           20038 - FN        32767  

I found this on one of my customers and asked them to stop using that tool. This monitoring tools create its own false positives. Since Spotlight creates its own deadlocks/blocking and then include them on the dashboards they create you cannot use this tool to take action.

Query the sys.traces or query the sys.dm_xe_sessions for active XE sessions.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, October 2, 2017 8:37 PM
  • Hi Easy_DBA,

>>How can i set this off?

For questions about spotlight software, please refer to Spotlight support for better response. 

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:20 AM