none
Submit message if sign in cookie expires RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    yesterday it happened again - I wrote a thread and hit the Submit button.
    Submit button responded and nothing happend.
    Pressed submit again.
    Again nothing.
    Copied the text from my posting into the clipboard.
    Gone back one page in IE and recreated the posting.
    Submitted again, and nothing happened.
    Refreshed the entire forums page - this showing that I was no longer signed in finally.

While this is better than loosing the written message like it was in the former forums, this behavior could still be improved.
    Maybe buffer the new message while the sign in page is loaded and return to that message, if the sign in is completed.
    No response at all is not very helpfull.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 31, 2008 2:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• This isn't a solution; but useful to find out what's going on: use Fiddler to watch the traffic going to microsoft.com when you press submit.  There are times when errors occur there that don't manifest in the UI...
    http://www.peterRitchie.com/blog
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:23 PM
  • Hi Peter,
    thanks for the tipp.
    Today I got again that error message "An unexpected error occured ..." - which points to the same issue - posting after the cookie expired, but as answer to an existing thread. Not much better than no message at all.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 31, 2008 11:30 PM
  • This interaction between the Submit button and the login credentials is INCREDIBLY ANNOYING. It often seems to me that I am still signed in, but I can only submit a post by logging out and logging back in again.

Does the forum management have any idea how long it typically takes to post a message on these forums compared to NNTP? It's got to be an order of magnitude.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:21 PM
  • Should be fixed via new login features now. Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, April 13, 2012 5:39 PM